Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 22 month old weaning?

Default 22 month old weaning?

I just have a question. I read the thread of mommies breastfeeding their little one beyond 3 years. I asked DH how he would feel if Daniel just kept feeding without showing signs of weaning? He made it very clear he would like us to wean around 2 years. I am very much for him leading the time he wants to wean as I believe it will make the transition so much easier. Esp with his little brother still feeding, and it brings him so much comfort.

How do I do this? He feeds about twice a day and sometimes when he is unhappy at night. He stopped from 15 months till 17 and half months as when he was 15 months I was 30 weeks preggie with his brother and spent a week in hospital with kidney stones. He was so mad with me for leaving him(i literally went into the ER and did not see him for a weak, I was to ill so we decided to go that way) so he did not drink again till his brother was born. I introduced it to him again as I wanted to tandem feed and it helped so much with him accepting Nathan into the family.

What would be the best to do...
    Been feeding two boys now:
    Daniel Justin 25 - 08 - 2008: my red head beauty!
    Nathan Paul 16 - 02 - 2010: NICU survivor, severe refluxer

There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it. ~Irena Chalmers

Default Re: 22 month old weaning?

Have you read the book How Weaning Happens? It has great insights into the natural process of weaning as well as how to gently help it along with respect for the child's needs.

It may be that once you hit 2 years your DH will see that your son still needs to nurse as much as he did at 22 months or 20 months... Sometimes seeing how nursing calms and comforts a child who's upset can be enough to convince dads that it's a good tool to have in the kit.

It sounds like you're feeling some pressure. I hope some other moms who've been where you are come along to share their experiences.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

is hubby willing to confort him at night.. IF not I would just keep that feed.

When Sarah was that age we worked on night weaning 1st, then gave up all feeds during the day, then nap, 1st thing in the am, and finnaly to go to sleep at night. I didn't have a new baby.

it sounds like he's almost weaned... and I bet if you didn't have the new baby he would have been done by now.

I wouldn't bring the subject up again, sometimes that helps.
    Funny thing when sarah was about 3 hubby asked is she still nursing any.
    And I said just to sleep at night. And he said HUMMMMM
    but that was it. He had no idea she was still nursing it was something between me and her private.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    It may be that once you hit 2 years your DH will see that your son still needs to nurse as much as he did at 22 months or 20 months... Sometimes seeing how nursing calms and comforts a child who's upset can be enough to convince dads that it's a good tool to have in the kit.
    This is what happened with us. My partner felt very strongly that we should wean at 1, then at 2, now he says 3, but he's not fighting any about it. He sees that our son still needed it, and needs it less now but does still need it. And I think he actually likes that nursing takes some of the pressure off of him in terms of comforting and parenting our son. Not that he doesn't do his fair share - he does! But I think he likes knowing that some times of the day are his to relax in because Wyatt and I are nursing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    is hubby willing to confort him at night.. IF not I would just keep that feed.

When Sarah was that age we worked on night weaning 1st, then gave up all feeds during the day, then nap, 1st thing in the am, and finnaly to go to sleep at night. I didn't have a new baby.

it sounds like he's almost weaned... and I bet if you didn't have the new baby he would have been done by now.

I wouldn't bring the subject up again, sometimes that helps.
    Funny thing when sarah was about 3 hubby asked is she still nursing any.
    And I said just to sleep at night. And he said HUMMMMM
    but that was it. He had no idea she was still nursing it was something between me and her private.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

fwiw, dh had the same thought in his head about weaning at 2, but we just continued and it's so normal & natural, now she's 2yrs & 9mos old & still nursing
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...