Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pacifiers?

Default Re: pacifiers?

Congrats on your new baby! I just thought I'd pass along a LLL article that discusses the pros and cons of pacifier use:

"Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Default Re: pacifiers?

Quote Originally Posted by crosswalk3
    Like Brenda, I too cosleep with DS and am loving it. However, like you, I resorted to a pacifier (much to my midwife and doula's dismay) when DS was about two weeks old. He also had a strong desire to suck all day and night and as I first time mom, I started to lose it when he would want to nurse for two hours straight. I finally started to take him off when I could tell he wasn't actively sucking and would give him a pacifier but would continue to cuddle him so we could both drift off to sleep. Anyhow, he never had nipple confusion and has gained weight nicely!
    this is what i've been doing also! sometimes i'll let her comfort suck well after she's done nursing before giving her a pacifier in an effort to avoid any confusion and that seems to be working well. she hasn't had a checkup in a couple of weeks but at the last visit she was gaining nicely.