Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pacifiers?

Default Re: pacifiers?

Hi!
    Congrats on your new baby! I just thought I'd pass along a LLL article that discusses the pros and cons of pacifier use:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBNovDec95p172.html

Enjoy!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Default Re: pacifiers?

Quote Originally Posted by crosswalk3
    Like Brenda, I too cosleep with DS and am loving it. However, like you, I resorted to a pacifier (much to my midwife and doula's dismay) when DS was about two weeks old. He also had a strong desire to suck all day and night and as I first time mom, I started to lose it when he would want to nurse for two hours straight. I finally started to take him off when I could tell he wasn't actively sucking and would give him a pacifier but would continue to cuddle him so we could both drift off to sleep. Anyhow, he never had nipple confusion and has gained weight nicely!
    ~Melanie
    this is what i've been doing also! sometimes i'll let her comfort suck well after she's done nursing before giving her a pacifier in an effort to avoid any confusion and that seems to be working well. she hasn't had a checkup in a couple of weeks but at the last visit she was gaining nicely.