Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting Frustrated with My 19 month Old

Default Getting Frustrated with My 19 month Old

Hello mamas, It's been awhile since I have been on the forums. We started cosleeping when DS was 14 months old. I haven't been obsessing about Lennon's sleep as much, which was one of the main reasons I was on the site, to obsess!!

Cosleeping has been AWESOME!! I look back and can't believe I got up a zillion times a night for so long. However, the last 3-4 nights have been more difficult. He has been waking up around 3 am and it takes FOREVER to get him to go back to sleep! He usually nurses for a few minutes, unlatches, and then goes back to sleeping. THe first or second night this happened I was so asleep (he usually doesnt wake between say 12-5ish so I think this really through me off) It was like a dream. I barely remember it, but when DS woke up and wouldnt go back to sleep I got so upset with him. I was pushing him towards his dad, and telling him to be quiet and go to sleep, and wasn't very nice about it. JR told me the next morning that it had woke him up and he said, alayna calm down, which apparently snapped me out of it, He said I immediately held Lennon to me and put him to sleep. It was like a dream, i remember realizing i was being mean and then realizing how it was pitch black out through the window, when i thought it was morning. It took a little longer then to put DS to sleep because he was pretty awake by then. I felt, and feel, ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE about this!!!!! JR said he could tell I was out of it, and that it's ok, but I still feel really bad about it.

Also, I'm worried I;m to blame for his not sleeping well now. SInce then he wakes around that time and is harder to get to sleep. Last night was the worst, he stayed latched on from 3-5 and would not let me even move to get comfortable without getting upset. I got frustrated again, but this time I was wide awake and handled it much better. I tried telling him to sleep and that numeez (nursing) had to sleep too. It was horrible. when he would unlatch, he would wake and cry as soon as he felt me move. I felt like a prisoner!!

I'm sorry if I'm being so dramatic, but this has got me so worried again. My first thought about his waking was that maybe he is ready for more space. We're pretty crammed in a full sized bed and he kicks his dad a lot. We have been planning on getting a bigger bed. Not only for cosleeping but also so that we can move the bed we have now into DS's room and try putting him to sleep there from now on. This somewhat scares me, however, because I don't want to get up a zillion times a night again!!!

And of course my second, and most worrying thought: I feel horrible about how I responded to DS;s night waking the other night. what if he is anxious about sleeping with me now?

Sorry this is so long. Im a mess!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Default Re: Getting Frustrated with My 19 month Old

I would give it a couple of more nights to see how things go. It may just be a phase.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Well the secret for us was at 18 months we moved DD to her crib with 3 sides, the 4th open side pushed against our bed. The extra room has allowed her to sleep much more soundly and I am there if she wakes up during the night so there has been no separation anxiety. Good Luck!

my thought was teething too. When E cut his canine teeth (is that what you call them?) they took a long time to come in and were bothersome to him. He did nurse a lot at night then. The nursing seemed to soothe the pressure on his gums.

I doubt that you made him anxious to sleep with you. From my experience there is no safer and more cuddly place for a kid to be at night than with momma in her bed.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I am so sorry that you are struggling, but don't beat yourself up. Getting frustrated from time to time is part of the deal. But you understand why now and you are trying to correct it. That is the best you can do for the situation. As for his sleeping, I agree with the others that it most likely is some teething or it could also be a growth spurt. Whenever my son is about to grow a lot or develop a new skill he has some issues with sleep and requires a lot of attention. His Ped says it's because their brains and bodies are so active that they need your attention, the nursing and comfort. I hope that helps and you are able to get back in your regular groove again soon!

Proud Vegetarian Momma

Ladies, thank you so much for your support! I'm sorry I have not responded. We went camping over this last weekend in the Wichita Mtns. (I was worried at first with the sleep issues, but we had gone once before and things went well..). He slept great! of course, we had some pretty full days and he was always pretty tired out. We also had a king size air mattress and I really think having that extra room helped out.

As far as teething goes, DS has had all of his teeth (except 2 yr molars?) for awhile now, so I'm not sure if that is it. I could definitely see it being a growth spurt. I swear he grew several inches this last week!!! oTher than that I think he is ready for more space. As am I!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!