Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: decreasing milk supply, nipple pain: is my body telling me to wean?

Default decreasing milk supply, nipple pain: is my body telling me to wean?

My son will be three in October and over the past month or more my supply seems to be decreasing to the point where he gets frustrated and tells me he "can't get any out." I also have had occasional nipple blanching and pain throughout my years of nursing (my oldest is 4 3/4 and I nursed him until he was 4) and this is accompanied by nipple compression in my nursling. It also seemed to occur more frequently around ovulation and maybe even menses. It occurred/occurs more often with my second and at this point it is happening at every nursing. It has increasingly become uncomfortable to the point where I have held him off from nursing all day.

I have tried fenugreek and then fenugreek and blessed thistle together. Although I am not taking much more than the recommended 3500mg/day of fenugreek I can smell it in my sweat which is a sign you are taking too much. I've been taking fenugreek for almost 2 weeks and blessed thistle for 5 days. Nothing seems to be happening as far as boosting supply.

Is there no hope? My next step for supply is to get some Mother's Milk Plus. My next step for pain is unknown. If it doesn't decrease in a day or two I might consider eliminating one or two nursings (which won't help with supply boosting!).

Any thoughts?
    Thanks.
    Aubrie

Default Re: decreasing milk supply, nipple pain: is my body telling me to wean?

Do you think you could be pregnant?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Do you think you could be pregnant?

that was my thought

ETA: Many women lose their supply during pregnancy, and it can become painful as well.
    Last edited by @llli*jeannie.bean; June 24th, 2010 at 05:48 PM.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post

that was my thought

ETA: Many women lose their supply during pregnancy, and it can become painful as well.
    My first thought as well.

and

Ah, no. I suppose it is always a possibility but I have an IUD and had my period 3 weeks ago.

What kind of IUD? Mirena negatively impacts supply in some nursing moms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Paraguard...I knew after I posted that I should have mentioned that.

I just can't believe that the herbs aren't working. I could probably handle letting him be at the breast as much as he wants if it wasn't for the pain.

I don't think I really have any of the signs of thrush (and I had it several times when the boys were younger). I don't think it's vasospasms b/c there is compression of the nipple with the pain and I don't have typical Reynaud's in my extremities.

I have a theory that my hormone levels are going crazy in my body and that my body really wants to be pregnant but I don't really know what I can do about that b/c we are not going to do that again unless someone can add 12 more hours to each day!

Thanks for your thoughts...

Okay, so at least you know it's not the IUD!

I just can't believe that the herbs aren't working.
    IMHO, herbs are great if they are accompanied by frequent and effective emptying of the breast. If you're trying to get the job done with herbs alone, I don't think it can do the trick.

I don't think it's vasospasms b/c there is compression of the nipple with the pain and I don't have typical Reynaud's in my extremities.
    Compression of the nipple can cause and/or exacerbate vasospasms. And you don't need Reynaud's in the extremities to have nipple vasospasms: I'm living proof.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"