Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thinking About LLL Leadership?

Default Thinking About LLL Leadership?

La Leche League Leaders are volunteers -- mothers who have breastfed their own babies for a year or more and support LLLI's philosophy of mothering through breastfeeding -- who lead LLL meetings and help other mothers with breastfeeding questions by phone or online.

If you're interested in supporting other mothers as an LLL Leader, you can get started by finding an LLL Group near you. Attending meetings, getting more involved by holding a Group job, if possible, and becoming a member of LLL are the next steps. The Leader(s) in your Group will be able to help you apply for LLL Leadership if you meet the prerequisites.

If there are no Groups where you live, you may be able to work directly with the Leader Accreditation Department and be the one to bring LLL to your area once you're accredited!

Even if there are many Leaders where you live, your help is needed. More Leaders mean more meetings can be offered, at different times to meet the needs of more mothers. It means a mother is more likely to be able to reach someone by phone when she really needs it. You can even help mothers far away by answering online Help Forms or moderating on the forums.

For more information and FAQs, please see the Thinking About LLL Leadership pages.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Thinking About LLL Leadership?

I have starting reading up about this. I have started hosting a group meeting in my home with a leader. There is no active leader in our area so I am hoping that I can become accredited soon. Thank you for the info it is very helpful.
    Been feeding two boys now:
    Daniel Justin 25 - 08 - 2008: my red head beauty!
    Nathan Paul 16 - 02 - 2010: NICU survivor, severe refluxer

There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it. ~Irena Chalmers

Hi Karen, thanks for posting this, I've been thinking about doing it too as there seems to be no LLL meetings in Brussels--the capital city! Astonishing! My LO is not yet 6 months so I certainly don't meet the criteria yet.

BTW the Map links LLL-Flanders in the Dutch speaking part of the country, but doesn't mention LLL-Belgique for the French community has different meeting places mentioned.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Great post. When my LO turns one I want to seriously consider this.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Redpowerlady, you would be great at it
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Karen...I am in the process of applying into leadership with the group north of me. I took the series of classes, and now they just want to get to know me before sending in a recommendation (meeting up for a couple playgroups). After becoming a leader, can I then start a group in my hometown? There is one south of me and north of me, but nothing in my direct town.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kathrynk View Post
    Karen...I am in the process of applying into leadership with the group north of me. I took the series of classes, and now they just want to get to know me before sending in a recommendation (meeting up for a couple playgroups). After becoming a leader, can I then start a group in my hometown? There is one south of me and north of me, but nothing in my direct town.
    Kathryn, I responded in this thread in the Commonalities forum.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

THANK YOU!!!!

I plan on getting on with this as soon as Bennett is in school full time I'll check out the info now and maybe can get the ball rolling this fall so I can have everything together by then...

awsome Shannon!

I'm considering doing this after our move.
    28 y/o, happy wife to C
    doula, placenta lady, lactivist, non- vax, , , mommy to H (7/08)
    **Swagbucks anyone?** **Search, earn, redeem**