Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teeth Issue

Default Teeth Issue

When my 12 month old DS nurses, he chomps (not bites, but grazes, maybe?) and leaves tooth indentations from his top two teeth. It hurts. He isn't biting, just nursing hard, so to speak. It makes me want to nurse less (not wean, but give my nipples a break) but I don't REALLY want to nurse less- I want him to guide me. So what do I do? I try and wathc his latch, but either I have forgotten how or it doesn't matter much. He is nursing 4-5 times a day plus 1-6 times at night.

Thanks!

Default Re: Teeth Issue

How long has this been going on? My DS would often so this during times he was teething--he would use a little bit different kind of suck and comfort nurse more and I'd end up with teeth marks and sore nipples. For us he went back to his usual nursing after the teeth came in and then everything healed. Could this be the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by llowe View Post
    How long has this been going on? My DS would often so this during times he was teething--he would use a little bit different kind of suck and comfort nurse more and I'd end up with teeth marks and sore nipples. For us he went back to his usual nursing after the teeth came in and then everything healed. Could this be the issue?
    Same with us. Each time Addie gets a new pair of teeth it messes up her latch for a couple weeks, then eventually goes back to normal (I think it just feels so different for them they need to get used to it). It helped me to get her to open really wide and have head tilted back, chin up when she latched. I know what you are going through though ... I had little chiclet (that's what her teeth look like to me, white chiclets ) marks in my breast from her top teeth for awhile, and those suckers are sharp!

This had some good tips that may help too:

Not actually biting, but scraping teeth or leaving indentations

Hope this helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

That link really did help- it makes me feel better to have concrete things to try. DS has had these teeth for a while ( a few months) and I have just been putting up with it. As he gets heavier I am letting him drag down on me more, so I will try to support him like the link said. Thanks again!!

You bet! Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I had the same problems although like other posters said, the problems went away in a few weeks or so as Mez got used to his new teeth. In general though, if his latch is not comfortable, I tell him gently that his latch is hurting me. Then I take him off and tell him to try again. This usually helps. Now that he's older (3 1/2) when I tell him he's hurting me, he comes off and then tries again himself.

-Lauren