Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctor wants me to pump only, not nurse.

Default Doctor wants me to pump only, not nurse.

My son will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. He was 7lbs 2ozs at birth. Not sure of his discharge weight, I kept asking & they kept passing the question to other people who never answered it. At 1 week appointment he was 6lzs 7ozs. We had another appointment today, 6 days later, where he weighed 6lbs 11ozs.

Doctor said he feels as though my son should have gained more than that (he actually expected him to be pass his birth weight by now) & because of that, he has told me to stop nursing totally & only pump & bottle feed. He gave us charts to fill out about feeding times & amounts & how baby responded (if he was fussy, content, spit up, etc.). He said, "eventually, maybe, we'll be able to get him back to the breast."

This idea makes me uncomfortable the more I think about it because I worry it basically will doom nursing eventually.

He will eat about 15-20 minutes on one side & then usually do about 10 at the other side. He'll snack sometimes too, but that's mainly at night. About 5 minutes of eating then goes back to sleep & that is between his feedings. Early in the morning (around 7ish usually) the kid eats about 20 minutes from each side. He eats every 2 hours (very rare it's closer to 3 hours, usually at the 2 hour mark he's ready to eat), at night it's more like 3 hours with snaking between. Like I said, he's totally content when eating & content afterwards, so I feel he's getting satisfied. He has no latch issues, I see him swallowing, I'm not concerned about my supply either. Plenty of wet & dirty diapers. He's not fussy & has only spit up a little twice since he was born.

Advice, opinions? We are suppose to go back Monday & if he hasn't gained enough the doctor hinted at formula, which I don't want to do.

Default Re: Doctor wants me to pump only, not nurse.

it is not unusually for BF babies to take two weeks or more to regain birth weight. Did you have any iv fluids during labor? This can artificially inflate birth weight.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

All I can tell you is what I would do in your situation and that is to continue doing exactly what you are doing. Docs do look for baby to be back to birth weight by 2 weeks old, but your little man is not too far off that, and at the rate he is going- with the good # of wet diapers, nursing time/frequency, happy baby- I'd say he is well on his way. Differences in the scales or the state of undress could account for a few ounces here and there. You might try offering more frequently if you want to try to up the weight gain to avoid conflict with the doctor, but honestly from your description it sounds like you are both doing great!

I would be concerned about your doctor's quick jump from "not quite back to birth weight" to "stop breastfeeding" and then setting you up for a switch to formula. Any chance you could find a more breastfeeding friendly pediatrician?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree with you that only bottle feeding will undermine your bfing relationship with your baby. I see what your doc is saying but it's bad advice. The best would be to keep nursing, nursing, nursing and make sure that baby gets that rich fatty hindmilk by doing breast compressions and finishing one side before switching.

Here is info on breast compressions:
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Breast-compression.asp

Here is info on slow weight gain:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html
    This kellymom link is really good.

also did you have lots of IV fluids during delivery b/c if so that can falsely elevate your baby's birth weight.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

If your baby needs to gain wt then maybe pump after nursing and give him that in a bottle (we call that triple feeding in my area). I don't think it's a good idea to stop nursing even if your baby isn't getting a ton, it's still good for him and I'd hate for him to have to go through learning how to latch etc, again.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I had a c-section, so I was pumped full of fluids very quickly before surgery. I believe at least a bag of fluids went in before surgery, then whatever I was given during until he was delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*layla983 View Post
    I had a c-section, so I was pumped full of fluids very quickly before surgery. I believe at least a bag of fluids went in before surgery, then whatever I was given during until he was delivered.
    yeah I wouldn't be worried then but I would start thinking about if you want to find a more BF friendly ped.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

well, formula isn't going to be better for your baby than your own milk and your doctor should really be helping you get your milk to your baby (which it sounds like is honestly going fine). If you needed a referral to a lactation consultant then he should help you out there. My doctor referred us to an IBCLC at 3 days because my baby was not getting much milk at all if any and they have helped us so much. But what you're saying about diapers it sounds like your baby is doing fine.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    it is not unusually for BF babies to take two weeks or more to regain birth weight. Did you have any iv fluids during labor? This can artificially inflate birth weight.
    If you were on IV fluid for a while then your baby can gain water weight just like you do.
    As long as he is eating well and having 6-10 wets and one dirty diaper in 24 hour period then he is getting enough to eat. I wouldn't go to exclusively pumping if it were me either. I'd be too worried about nipple confusion and creating havoc with my supply.

Trust your gut mama. It sounds like you're doing fine to me.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

It sounds to me like everything is going well, but if you want to reassure yourself (or your pediatrician) about your baby's intake, you could consider renting a very sensitive scale and weighing your baby before and after feeds to see how much he's taking in. Good luck! Follow your mama intuition. And CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby!!!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012