Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do your toddlers nurse?

Default Re: How often do your toddlers nurse?

My baby is only 11 mos old but the length of her nursing sessions are sure shorter than when she was a few mos old. Sometimes it's less than 5 minutes and she's off to play on the floor.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My thirteen month old will nurse five or six times a day, and then a couple times in the middle of the night, and nonstop all morning (I use it like a snooze button, to keep him happy so I can sleep in!). So he doesn't nurse as frequently as your friend's baby, but he likes to hang out and snuggle for a bit.

This varies so much, though! I have one friend who one year old asks to nurse like every five minutes, but only nurses for a minute. I have another friend, also with a thirteen month old, who only nurses before naps and bed (so like, 3X per day).

One thing we all have in common: nursing a toddler is so much easier than nursing an infant! No soreness, it's usually pretty fast, you can put a toddler off for a minute if it's not convenient, you can teach your toddler nursing manners. Whole different ballgame. Plus, I totally agree with PPs - it's some of the only snuggly time I get with my otherwise very active little boy. The nighttime nursing is hardly any bother now that he can latch himself on, and I especially enjoy our morning snuggle time. We nurse, snuggle, and then I wake up to my baby's smiles every morning.

I can TOTALLY see how this might seem like "an awful lot of nursing" to you, when you compare it with your experiences with a younger baby! However, if your baby loves to nurse, it can be also be really convenient to keep up the BF'ing. You always have a way to comfort and soothe your baby, no matter where you go. Also, some toddlers eat hardly any solids, so BF'ing saves you from worrying about their terrible eating habits!

P.S. I am totally pump-weaned and no longer pump at work, so the peskiest part of BF'ing (in my mind, anyway), is over now, and I enjoy BF'ing on weekends that much more. By toddler-hood, you can negotiate your BF'ing relationship a bit more.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elesha View Post

My baby doesn't seem to comfort nurse at all. He snuggles for comfort, but doesn't nurse (and he never had a pacifier, so thats not the reason)
    My daughter nursed frequently from the very beginning- usually quick nursing sessions many times per day and night.

My son did not, he'd nurse for a long time, every 4-5 hours. He was like yours and didn't like to comfort nurse. If milk let down when he didn't want it he'd pop off and yell at me until I gave him a pacifier. Unfortunately I wasn't able to continue nursing him into toddlerhood, but I suspect he would have been one of those that only nursed a few times per day and night since that's the pattern he established early on and that's how he takes his bottles now.

I think it's related to both personality and metabolism. My daughter has always been petite and extremely energetic. My son was born on the larger side and slept a lot more and until his health issues seemed on a path to stay that way.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My 22 month old DS only nurses about 2x/day now, before nap and bedtime. It's mostly comfort nursing now and plus it's also due to my comfort level since I'm pregnant.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elesha View Post

Its amazing! I think you are all doing terrific thing for your toddlers! I hope to get there too (so far we only had breastmilk, and I am proud of that a little bit

My baby doesn't seem to comfort nurse at all. He snuggles for comfort, but doesn't nurse (and he never had a pacifier, so thats not the reason)
    I think my 9MO has just now started nursing for comfort. My first did from birth. I think partly it is because I have a strong flow and I think it was a lot for her at first. You will probably be surprised at around a year, to discover that nursing is your baby's favorite thing in the world (that's what happened with my first). At around 11 months she started signing for it about every 5 minutes I'm not good at math, but I think that would be much more than 15 times a day

I think it's okay to come here and ask questions without fear of offending people

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Sorry. I'm the one that said I was trying not to be offended. I'm having a sensitive day. I just didn't like the phrasing about it being an "awful" lot of nursing.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Sorry. I'm the one that said I was trying not to be offended. I'm having a sensitive day. I just didn't like the phrasing about it being an "awful" lot of nursing.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

my 13 mo old nurses pretty much 7 times a day (which is where she's been since 4 months or so). For us it is somewhat scheduled since I go to work and she gets 3 bottles during the day, but when I'm home she gets to nurse whenever she asks and then some.

She's just now getting into solid foods more and we've cut back on her milk during the day a little to give her a little more room to try things. She was getting 12 oz while I was gone and we've gently worked her back to 8. One day I'd love to stop pumping.

I think I love the cuddles of toddler nursing the best. It's really the only time now that she'll curl up in my lap and just "chill" with me.
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

up until a couple of months ago my 2 year old nursed a lot. Like 12 times in a 24 hour period. For the sake of my sanity I day weaned him. So now we nurse at nap time, at bedtime and throughout the night still. Maybe 3-5 times during the night hours. So still 5-7 times in a 24 hour period. It's still a lot I think. But this is all the momma enforced weaning I'm doing for now. I'll reevaluate around 3 and a half years.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens