Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do your toddlers nurse?

Default How often do your toddlers nurse?

My LO is only 3 months old, so we have ways to go yet, but I am just being curious.
    A good friend of mine has a 20 month old. She nurses around 15 times during the day, and at night they share a bed and her little one pretty much never stops nursing the entire night. Is this about average? That seems like an awefull lot of nursing! My 3 month old nurses 6-8 times a day, and he is breastfed exclusively and on demand. And my friend's daughter is this tiny little thing, and with all that food I would expect her to be giant!
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Default Re: How often do your toddlers nurse?

DD is 18 months old and she nurses probably around the same as your friend's daughter if not more. I think it totally depends on the child. DD is a HUGE comfort nurser and if I let her she would be latched on all day and night (and actually she usually is all night since we co-sleep). Oh and DD is quite thin at 22lbs
    First time mom to Kalyna born December 14th 2008

Born: 7lbs 7oz
    Month 1: 8lbs
    Week 5: 8lbs 6oz
    Week 7: 9lbs 5oz
    Week 9: 10lbs 2.6oz
    Week 17: 14lbs 7oz

Nursing a 3.5 year old!
    Love , and

All children have their own growth curve and nursing patterns. They can also comfort nurse and not get that much milk out. There are a lot of developmental things that happen around 15 and 18 months that can lead to an increased frequency in nursing.

My daughter is about 20 months old and nurses like your friend's child. But there are other children that age and younger that only nurse at nap time and bed time. I'm trying not to be offended by you saying that "that's an awful lot of nursing." Maybe yes, maybe no. They tend to nurse for a lot less time at that age.

Good for your friend for meeting her daughter's needs despite our societies issues with breastfeeding.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

DD is 20 months and she nurses about 5 times per day, but I don't nurse on demand anymore. We did mommy-led nightweaning a couple weeks ago. I also don't nurse if it's almost mealtime. We also don't nurse if she's just nursed a couple of times recently; I offer food then instead. I stopped nursing before mealtimes because she's not been gaining much weight, and I'm concerned that she might not eat enough food if she's nursed right before mealtime. As of 2-3 months ago, she was nursing more like 10-12 times in 24 hours. I felt the need to cut down, and I'm happier with our nursing relationship now.

my son is 2 1/2 and some days zero and some days like 5x
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

mine is 2 and nurses around 5 times a day (including night). Sometimes it's more though.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I'm sorry, I didn't want to offend anyone! I am just really surprised by how much toddlers nurse! Its more then mine nursed as a newborn!
    Its just a LOT of nursing

It's probably for a lot less time each nursing. You could ask your friend, but sometimes a toddler only nurses for a few minutes. If your friend and her child are both happy with that number of nursings, then it's the right number for them. I felt like limiting nursings, and so we did, and IMO that was fine too. So, don't feel overwhelmed at the thought of nursing your baby that often a year or more from now. You might be fine with it, and if not, you can distract, substitute food, or do various other things to gently cut back a bit.

No offense taken here either I never thought I'd be nursing a 2.5 YO (heck I never thought I 'd be nursing a 3 month old), but it doesn't take the time that nursing a baby does. Max can nurse and we can bother be doing other things as well sometimes nice other times
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Its amazing! I think you are all doing terrific thing for your toddlers! I hope to get there too (so far we only had breastmilk, and I am proud of that a little bit

My baby doesn't seem to comfort nurse at all. He snuggles for comfort, but doesn't nurse (and he never had a pacifier, so thats not the reason)