Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore breasts?!?

Default Sore breasts?!?

My breasts have been a little sore, especially one of them (the right one). I'm not sure why. No signs of mastitis at all (skin looks normal, no fever). I had a few painful plugs that resolved yesterday. No signs of thrush either (nipple looks normal, no shooting pain).

Only different thing is that I'm having my period. I remember the nipples being sore the last time I had the period (45 days ago) but I don't remember the whole breast feeling sore like this. It's a superficial soreness that I feel mostly on the skin and not inside the breast, if that makes sense. But it is very bothersome.

I also have a bad pain on my back around the shoulder blade that goes all around my ribcage, I think it started as a pulled muscle or something but it got all tense and knotty. Not sure, went to doc and she didn't find anything and said it was tension. Same side as the breast pain.

Just wondering what it could be and mostly, what I can do to make it go away.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Default Re: Sore breasts?!?

i have heard breasts can be sore after plugs have resolved. as if they are kind of bruised. I've had various kinds of breast and nipple soreness surrounding period and ovulation time. I'd just kind of monitor it and see what happens?

as for the shoulder i'd take advil (ibueprofen). since you've already had doc look at it, try to relax a bit and see if it resolves over the week. somtimes shoulder type injuries take a while to heal b/c we keep aggravating them not meaning to doing our daily activities.

not sure if this is helpful. I'm more of a wait and see type but maybe others have better advice
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I'd guess it's just residual pain from the clogged ducts you resolved yesterday. My breasts were often sore for a while after I had resolved a plug. Almost like I had bruised them from all of the strenuous massaging I had done.

Alternately, it definitely could be from your period. I would give it a few days and just keep an eye on it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

thank you, Christine and JoMo! your replies were very comforting yesterday. i'd been in pain from my back (and hip) for so long, then the breast, it was so much pain! i took an ibuprofen and it SUPER helped. it really is difficult for the shoulder to heal as i'm always carrying my 20 lb baby up and down... it's my right side (and i'm right-handed) so it's being used all the time. i noticed this morning that the way i nurse her is putting a strain there. i think i need to try out support pillows for her now that she's so heavy (i hadn't used one since she was 3 months old!).

the breast also feels better, maybe b/c of the ibuprofen too? i think it was a combination of all the hand-expression i did trying to dissolve the plugs + the period.

anyway... thanks!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one