Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby sleeping though the night

Default Baby sleeping though the night

Okay well this will be my first post, so hello! I have a 3 month old son who im nursing. Well since day 3 he has pretty much slept though the night. I would just have to wake him up to feed him. Now he can go like 8 hours and doesnt even stir. My question is how long can i go with out him nursing or pumping. I know by 3 months my milk supply is already established but is it bad to go to long. Like last night he slept 7 hours but i woke him up to eat becuase i was so full. Should i just let him sleep and pump to relieve the fullness? Do i need to pump during the night? What do yall do when your child starts sleeping though the night?

Default Re: Baby sleeping though the night

My 2 month twins are sleeping between 6 & 8 hrs at night. I let them sleep because I believe that at this time if they are hungry they will wake. First thing in the am I try and pump to keep a good milk supply going. That's usually only the mornings that they sleep 7 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy00 View Post
    What do yall do when your child starts sleeping though the night?
    CELEBRATE!!!!!!!! j/k...do whatever works for you...if you're too full and want to pump it off to let your lo sleep, then that's understandable. However, when lo wakes up five minutes later and is hungry are you going to give the pumped milk in a bottle or try and nurse? Nursing after this would probably throw off your supply and make you even more full the next morning...but would using a bottle cause problems with nursing? Hmm, it's a tough one, but a nice problem to have

i've been told that u shouldn't go more than a 6 hr stretch at night.. but i think that has to do with using nursing as birth control when ur LO is under 6 months old. not sure how it will effect your supply.. still trying to build mine

My dd has been sleeping through the night since around 4-5 weeks. She started going about five hours, and now sleeps for more like seven or eight. I always feel confident that she will wake me if she is hungry, and she does. She is also growing and happy so I don't think you need to worry about waking your LO unless you are concerned about his intake (i.e. not enough wet/dirty diapers, or if you have to wake him to eat regularly). I was way too exausted to get up and pump so I didn't. (I also worried about if she woke up for awhile so I was afraid to pump). I woke up engorged for a few days and would have to pump when she didn't drain both breasts, but it did not take long for my milk supply to regulate itself again. Enjoy the sleeping while you can. I have heard that they can change thier minds and start waking up again, so I am enjoying each long night I have. HTH!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

His Intake (plenty of dirty pee and poo diapers) is great as of now. He is actually over 100 percentile in weight for his age. Im just worried if i go to long will it decrease my supply. Im also concerned about going to long and getting mastitis. Last month I had Mastitis and once was plenty with that!! Of course since i posted this hes been waking me up the past couple nights to eat. But some nights he sleeps an 8 or 9 hour strech so should i pump or just wait for him to nurse? Is it a problem if i go to long with out nursing is what im getting at?

Shiloh sleeps 7-7. I nurse him at 630pm, and then I pump right before I get into bed at 10 or 1030. I then have a bottle incase DH wants to give me a break while I make dinner, or I can freeze it for an emergency. Even though I pump at 1030, I STILL wake up full and leaking. i can't imagine what it'd be like if I didn't pump.

I tried not to pump for a few weeks after he started sleeping all night long, and my supply NEVER evened out. I just kept waking up shooting milk across the room. So i decided to pump to relieve the pain and to help keep my supply up and have some extra.

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

ShilohsMom so you go from around 10:30-7 without pumping/nursing?

Amy...I too pump in the am. before my boys wake up for am feeding. They slepp anywhere from 4 to 7 hrs at night. So I like to pump in the am. I think if I didn't my supply would probably decrease. Try pumping before you know LO will wake in the am.