Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need some advice/opinions.

Default I need some advice/opinions.

Ok, so my daughter will be 6 months old on the 30th of June.
    When she was born my milk supply was awesome and I could pump like 16oz at any given time. Well, I became engorged and consulted an LC. She instructed me to stop pumping and just breastfeed. This was great until about 2 months; I noticed she would eat constantly from 5-10pm. So, I thought I was not producing enough milk and started supplementing with formula. This supplementing joined with going back to work ruined my once awesome supply. Knowing what I know now, I am SO MAD at myself for sabotaging my supply by giving formula. Now, she eats formula about 85% of the time and expressed BM or breastfeeds the other 15%. I pump about 2x a day, and feed her off the breast 1 or 2x daily. Right now I am getting like 4oz a day.
    After all that, my question is...is it possible/realistic for me to make as much as I did in the beginning? Can I stop the formula? Or am I just too late in the game? How, what should I do? I do have a Medela pump in style advanced.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated; I really want to do this.

Default Re: I need some advice/opinions.

I'm sorry that you have had such a hard time. It's actually pretty normal for infants to cluster feed in the evenings, and doesn't mean that you have low supply.

It's unrealistic to think you'll get to a point of pumping out 16 ounces - that's a ridiculous amount and generally only happens at the beginning because your body isn't sure how many babies to pump for.

I think you can at least reduce the amount of formula supplements, but you should contact an LC again, rent a hospital pump and PUMP, PUMP, PUMP. And nurse more often too, and follow the nursing with the supplement.

Here are some links that might help you:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Those links are great. Can you offer to nurse before every bottle, then pump after every bottle? that should help up your supply. I exclusively pumped with the pump in style, but I hear hospital grade pumps are better.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

When you are pumping, how long are you pumping? Pump 10 times a day for at least 2 minutes. Pump through two let downs.

Does your LO take the breast? I would defintiely do like pp suggested and offer the breast and pump afterwards several times a day. You could also look a lactaid or supplelental nursing system to supplement and boost supply at the se
    time.

Cosleeping and nursing at night helped boost my supply.

There are also galactagogues like fenugreek and blessed thistle, reglan, and domperidone. Eating oatmeal is good for boosting supply.

Thanks ladies~
    I have decided to give it my all for 4 weeks. At that point I will reevaluate my situation and see what I should do. I just started pumping every 2 hours yesterday. I am also drinking the mother’s milk tea 3x a day as well as taking 9Fenugreek a day. I will keep you all posted as I go. Plus my daughter is feeding from the breast a couple of times a day as well.
    Stats now: MILK PUMPED IN 24 HOUR PERIOD------8oz

However, I would still like all of your valuable input as I go!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*a.mae View Post
    Thanks ladies~
    I have decided to give it my all for 4 weeks. At that point I will reevaluate my situation and see what I should do. I just started pumping every 2 hours yesterday. I am also drinking the mother’s milk tea 3x a day as well as taking 9Fenugreek a day. I will keep you all posted as I go. Plus my daughter is feeding from the breast a couple of times a day as well.
    Stats now: MILK PUMPED IN 24 HOUR PERIOD------8oz

However, I would still like all of your valuable input as I go!
    That's great! It sounds like you are dedicated, and that's wonderful! You can do it! There was a thread a while ago where a woman went from not breastfeeding at all to exclusively breastfeeding again. You can do it

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09