Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: I need some advice/opinions.

  1. #1

    Default I need some advice/opinions.

    Ok, so my daughter will be 6 months old on the 30th of June.
    When she was born my milk supply was awesome and I could pump like 16oz at any given time. Well, I became engorged and consulted an LC. She instructed me to stop pumping and just breastfeed. This was great until about 2 months; I noticed she would eat constantly from 5-10pm. So, I thought I was not producing enough milk and started supplementing with formula. This supplementing joined with going back to work ruined my once awesome supply. Knowing what I know now, I am SO MAD at myself for sabotaging my supply by giving formula. Now, she eats formula about 85% of the time and expressed BM or breastfeeds the other 15%. I pump about 2x a day, and feed her off the breast 1 or 2x daily. Right now I am getting like 4oz a day.
    After all that, my question is...is it possible/realistic for me to make as much as I did in the beginning? Can I stop the formula? Or am I just too late in the game? How, what should I do? I do have a Medela pump in style advanced.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated; I really want to do this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,564

    Default Re: I need some advice/opinions.

    I'm sorry that you have had such a hard time. It's actually pretty normal for infants to cluster feed in the evenings, and doesn't mean that you have low supply.

    It's unrealistic to think you'll get to a point of pumping out 16 ounces - that's a ridiculous amount and generally only happens at the beginning because your body isn't sure how many babies to pump for.

    I think you can at least reduce the amount of formula supplements, but you should contact an LC again, rent a hospital pump and PUMP, PUMP, PUMP. And nurse more often too, and follow the nursing with the supplement.

    Here are some links that might help you:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    Tracie

    Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    239

    Default Re: I need some advice/opinions.

    Those links are great. Can you offer to nurse before every bottle, then pump after every bottle? that should help up your supply. I exclusively pumped with the pump in style, but I hear hospital grade pumps are better.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

    and

    DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

  4. #4

    Default Re: I need some advice/opinions.

    Thanks ladies~
    I have decided to give it my all for 4 weeks. At that point I will reevaluate my situation and see what I should do. I just started pumping every 2 hours yesterday. I am also drinking the mother’s milk tea 3x a day as well as taking 9Fenugreek a day. I will keep you all posted as I go. Plus my daughter is feeding from the breast a couple of times a day as well.
    Stats now: MILK PUMPED IN 24 HOUR PERIOD------8oz

    However, I would still like all of your valuable input as I go!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: I need some advice/opinions.

    YOU CAN DO IT!!!
    Jessica

    Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,570

    Default Re: I need some advice/opinions.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*a.mae View Post
    Thanks ladies~
    I have decided to give it my all for 4 weeks. At that point I will reevaluate my situation and see what I should do. I just started pumping every 2 hours yesterday. I am also drinking the mother’s milk tea 3x a day as well as taking 9Fenugreek a day. I will keep you all posted as I go. Plus my daughter is feeding from the breast a couple of times a day as well.
    Stats now: MILK PUMPED IN 24 HOUR PERIOD------8oz

    However, I would still like all of your valuable input as I go!
    That's great! It sounds like you are dedicated, and that's wonderful! You can do it! There was a thread a while ago where a woman went from not breastfeeding at all to exclusively breastfeeding again. You can do it


    Jeanne (my middle name IRL)


    Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •