Consistently green stools in the breastfed baby can indicate:
- an imbalance of foremilk/hindmilk, often resulting in frothy green stools.
- a sensitivity to something in the mother's diet, such as cow's milk products.
- a sign that baby has an illness. Babies with an intestinal virus or even a simple cold will sometimes have green, mucusy stools. Teething can also bring about green stools due to increased saliva (can also cause tummy upset)
- a lot of green vegetables or something with green food coloring in mom's diet.
- If baby has started solids, that could also account for the change in color (this is normal with the change in diet).