Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Runny Nose & Green Poop

Default Runny Nose & Green Poop

My 11 week old LO has had stuffy and runny nose the past 3 days or so and had thick dark yellow poops yesterday and today is having very runny green poops today. His normal BM's are runny yellow. Is there any corelation with mucus and green poop? It also has a very distinctive smell - different from his usual diapers. Anyone had any experience with this? He has been on breast milk since day one.

Unhappy Re: Runny Nose & Green Poop

So, nobody has seen this or seen changes w/BM's when your baby was sick? I'm seriously getting worried. I'll check w/ped today.

Default Re: Runny Nose & Green Poop

I don't have experience with this myself, but I did find this:
    Consistently green stools in the breastfed baby can indicate:

• an imbalance of foremilk/hindmilk, often resulting in frothy green stools.
    • a sensitivity to something in the mother's diet, such as cow's milk products.
    • a sign that baby has an illness. Babies with an intestinal virus or even a simple cold will sometimes have green, mucusy stools. Teething can also bring about green stools due to increased saliva (can also cause tummy upset)
    • a lot of green vegetables or something with green food coloring in mom's diet.
    • If baby has started solids, that could also account for the change in color (this is normal with the change in diet).
    Source: http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-ba...tm#GreenStools

Dunno if thats a LLL approved site, but just thought Id pass the info along anyway.

Hope your baby feels better soon!
    First time mommy to little Charlotte Rose, born April 16th, 2010.

Thank you! I suspect that his cold is the culprit. I know it's not a glamorous subject, but one breastfeeding mothers have to deal with. I appreciate your response!

I like this link. Breastfed babies poop colors can vary and it's often normal.

I agree, this is probably due to the cold, hopefully will go back to normal soon

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09