Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wet diapers?

Default wet diapers?

Can anyone tell me about how many wet diapers a 12mth old should be having in a day? Thank you

Default Re: wet diapers?

With a child of that age, it will vary greatly. Are you trying to find out if your baby is getting enough milk or whether he/she is dehydrated?

Well, he weighs 21.7, he is 31 in. long and the doc told me to start giving him more juice,less water and more table foods.He does eat table foods(somedays more or less than others). She said his weight wasn't real worrying right now, but we need to keep an eye on it. She said that he probably wasn't getting that much from me anymore. Which she is a breastfeeder also( one reason I like her), but that did bother me a little. My dh is really concerned about his weight. I think it is because ds is EXTREMLY active and somedays he is just too busy to eat. I just mainly want to reassure dh and myself.

I'm surprised any doctor would recommend giving a baby more juice and less water. Why would she say that she doesn't think he's getting much from you any more? How many times a day is he nursing?

I think it's normal for many 12 month olds to be too busy and active to sit down and nurse a lot during the day. Have you tried nursing him in a quiet, dark room to eliminate distractions? Their new world that is opening up to them is just to exciting some times to "waste" any time nursing ... my little one is even "on the go" while we are nursing (legs kicking, eyes roving, etc).

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

He probably nurses anywhere from 3 to 6 times a day and at night he comfort nurses a lot, probably atleast 6 times after we go to bed. I think she said that because of his weight. Also, when I went to work I didn't leak at all. I was full but did not leak for over 12 hrs.

That is the nights I don't work

I agree with Paint the Moon. My own ped. thought it was fabulous that we only were giving our LO water...and hardly ever any juice. She said that babies get more benefit from the actual piece of fruit than they would from juice. Maybe you could try some extra high calorie foods that are actually good for your ds.

Maybe a nutritionist could comment, but I thought the reason docs didn't want juice given so much, was the high sugar content...not necessarily added sugar, but naturally in the fruit but with none of the fiber or other benefits. If you exchanged juice for water, wouldn't that just lead to body fat gain and tooth decay, and not muscle and bone and brain growth?

I don't think your son's weight is of any concern at all. My DD is 13 months old and she was 18 pounds at her 12 month checkup. Pretty low on the percentile chart but it is very clear that when you look at her that she is absolutely normal. My DD has about 4-5 heavy wet diapers a day.

As long as your son is active, meeting milestones and has good diaper output, I wouldnt be worried. Isn't 22 pounds in a year considered average weight gain? That puts your son very close to the average. I also agree with the OPs about giving juice over water. That is very ill advised.

I have also been away from DD for more than 7-8 hours a few days over the last 6 months and during that have never leaked or been engorged to the point of pain. She used to feed 7-9 times a day otherwise.

Priya

I am also a bit surprised at the recommendation for more juice. I thought that drinking too much juice could actually cause slow weight gain because kids can fill up on the sugary juice and then not eat other foods.

21.7 pounds does not sound small to me for a 12 month old. According to the Breastfeeding Answer Book typical weight gain for a BF baby is to double birth weight by 5-6 months and then reach 2 1/2 times birth weight by one year. Have you looked at his weight based on the new WHO growth charts?

Yeah I agree with everyone here. I've been wondering the same thing about how many diapers. Kaytlynn is the SAME way with not wanting to stop to eat. She is VERY small only 16lbs at her one year check up, however she has just Started eating three meals a day too, so that could be why she was so small. Anyway, she has about two Heavy VERY heavy diapers a day and then usually one or two less wet diapers with a poppy diaper once a day or every other day. HTH a little.