Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question re oral antibiotic

Default Question re oral antibiotic

Hi All,

I have a concern about a local antibiotic my dentist used today. I have some inflammation and mild infection in the gums around two of my teeth. She inserted a powdered antiobiotic (called Arestin which is a tetracycline/ minocycline) that will dissolve over the next several days. Unfortunately, I was not thinking and neglected to mention that I am nursing.

The Arestin website says it should not be used when pregnant or nursing (but it seems that so many medications simply say that just so they don't have to determine whether it can or cannot be safely used when nursing). Again, this is not an oral/systemic antibiotic, but was just inserted b/w my teeth and gums.

My daughter is 16 months old and isn't nursing a lot anymore, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any information or experience with this kind of medication and nursing.

Thanks!

Default Re: Question re oral antibiotic

If you have an amazon.com account you should be able to look in the book by Dr. Hale "medication and mothers milk"

the other resource I use a lot is lactmed.com
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

tetracyclines are a total no-no in pregnancy. I looked up while nursing and found this
    Tetracycline is excreted in small amounts in breast milk, but the calcium in breast milk limits its absorption. Although tetracycline is compatible with breast-feeding, other antibiotics are preferred, especially for long-term use.3,6 Newer derivatives such as doxycycline (Vibramycin) or minocycline (Minocin) should be avoided because of higher absorption by infants and toxicity in children (e.g., dental staining, decreased bone growth).7 Quinolones have not been well studied in breast milk and are not rated by the AAP. They should be used in the breast-feeding mother only when other, better-studied options cannot be used and after the risks and benefits have been assessed.3
    from here

If you can pump and dump you might think about doing so. I am sorry, I don't know what the half life is, so I don't know how long for. They should ask.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

alexnyc - checking in ... were you able to get more info about the medication?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)