Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "Lazy Baby"

Default "Lazy Baby"

I was watching a movie inthe LC's office about proper latch & stuff. They said that "babies aren't lazy & if you baby is falling asleep during feedings that means they are getting 'low flow' or have an improper latch".
    I am really confused about that because I read a lot of posts about people nursing their babies to sleep. I thought it was good for babies to fall asleep while nursing...
    I am so very confused! Can anyone explain??

Default Re: "Lazy Baby"

Well there's a difference between nursing to sleep and falling asleep while nursing. New babies get tired easily and can fall asleep before they have gotten enough. This is especially difficult when a baby is having trouble gaining weight. So some mothers come looking for advice about keeping the baby awake long enough to finish a feeding, to get the hind milk. But once they complete a feeding, many moms want to nurse their baby to sleep. So it really depends on what you are talking about. Hope that helps!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

agree with PP, when we were in the hospital my baby was very sleepy and my husband had to tickle her toes to try to keep her awake to try to nurse. Now at bedtime or before nap time I go to bed with her and nurse her to sleep. That's to get her to sleep, not to get a good feeding in.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    Well there's a difference between nursing to sleep and falling asleep while nursing.
    ummmmm, ok. Forgive my stupidity, but what's the difference?? She's asleep. I guess I don't know if she's "finishing" or not.
    ugh, now I'm even more confused!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*2bugsmom View Post
    ummmmm, ok. Forgive my stupidity, but what's the difference?? She's asleep. I guess I don't know if she's "finishing" or not.
    ugh, now I'm even more confused!

The difference is whether or not she should be asleep. How old is your baby? A newborn baby tends to fall asleep after say 3 minutes of nursing. They are in no way full or completely fed. Which means they will wake up hungry in 20 minutes instead of an hour. Not to mention they haven't gotten enough nutrition. But it is because they are so new and eating is such an effort, they get so tired. Most doctors suggest doing things to keep your baby awake to empty your breast. As the PP mentioned, tickling toes is an option. Once your baby is a little older, they won't fall asleep until they are full and satisfied and exhausted from it.

But really this all depends on what stage you are in. How old is your baby? What was her birth weight? Is she gaining? Is she fussing soon after falling asleep because she is still hungry? The goal of breastfeeding is not necessarily to put your baby to sleep but to feed them. You need to be sure you are doing that before letting them sleep.

she will be 3 weeks on Monday. We are having a problem with weight gain, and we are working on our latch & sore nipple problems. She hardly ever nurses with her eyes open, but usually nurses for about 20 minutes before stopping & releasing. She does nurse about every hour right now though also.
    Thanks for all your help!

she will be 3 weeks on Monday. We are having a problem with weight gain, and we are working on our latch & sore nipple problems. She hardly ever nurses with her eyes open, but usually nurses for about 20 minutes before stopping & releasing. She does nurse about every hour right now though also.
    You want to be sure that she is sucking for food and not just suckling. If she is using you as a pacifier, that could cause sore nipples and be why she's not gaining. She needs to completely empty the breast, getting the hind milk, before slowing down to a suckling latch and then falling asleep.

If she nurses for 20 minutes on one side and is actively nursing (like, not just suckling when she thinks you are unlatching her), after she falls asleep or unlatches, take her off, burp her to wake her up a bit and offer the other side. That may help her get more at each feeding. But, in reality, newborns are all so different and there is nothing wrong with her nursing so often

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I have a lazy baby too. She's 3 weeks old today, but she falls asleep at the breast and wakes up hungry 10-20 mins later. I'm working with a lactation nurse through my doctors office, who suggested to nurse 10-20 mins per side, then pump for 10-20 mins for extra stimulation. If she actually stays awake for the whole 40 min session and is still hungry I supplement with formula or saved pumped milk...We don't have a problem with weight gain. I've tried the medela supplemental nursing system starter kit. Pretty much its a tube that feeds supplemental milk to the nipple, and the extra milk helps keep her awake.
    I hope it helps, keep trying...I'm right there with ya.