Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping for Preemie (only .5 oz total/session)

Default Re: Pumping for Preemie (only .5 oz total/session)

I would also like suggesting to call your insurance company. Ours paid for our rental hospital grade pump because my son was premie. We basically just got the doctor to 'prescribe' my breastmilk for him in order for them to pay for it.

Also check the size of your horns to make sure they aren't too small/big. The 'standard' size given in the kits is Medium, but they make small, medium, large, x-large, and xx-large. They may even make one size up from that, I don't know. Point being, one size doesn't fit all. I could barely get anything out with the pump until I got a larger size.

I third pumping more often until you get your supply better established. Also, if you can, do as much skin to skin with your baby as you can. I always found that my pumping sessions following kangaroo care were always much more productive. Also, I did use Fenugreek at first, though I don't know if it was necessary.

To encourage you further, remember that there are women who are able to induce lactation without pregnancy. You CAN do this. Stay determined and focused, and you can hurdle any challenge.

You've already got excellent advice. I don't have any experience with pre eclampsia caused prem delivery, but I had a prem at 30 weeks, and I pumped for her, with very low supplies at first, but it built up slowly, the total would increase by 5ml a day most days. I always kept ahead of her feeding needs, and had a small freezer stash.

It may take longer to build up supply, as you aren't able to nurse at the breast, or possibly not even to hold your baby at all, or much. So it does have an effect on your supply, but it's not impossible.

I'm still breastfeeding my DD and she's almost 2 years old.

As others have said, it won't be easy, but it IS possible, so if you want to do it, don't let a lactation consultant (why are they even saying this anyway, thought they were supposed to support BF) try to put you off. Just not and do what you feel is right, so long as your baby isn't compromised.

I took all sorts of natural remedies, plus got a prescription for Domperidone which in my case didn't help increase supply much, but some people find it helps a lot.

Good luck!
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.

Thank you ladies SOOO much for all the encouragement, it has meant so much to me! Right now I am getting between .5 and 1 oz per session, and I'm doing about 10 sessions/ day. That is a def. increase from when I first posted- so YAY!

In the last day or so I've started to feel a stronger let-down, get the full feeling around pump times and see actual "milk sprays"/flow that I wasn't getting before- so I know all your advice is helping!

Baby is doing great- he is up to 18ccs (and they have been upping it everyday), so I'm in a race with him to keep up the supply! My hope is that my output/session will continue to increase weekly.

Great news mama! Are you able to hold him yet?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Just wanted to update that I'm continuing to see a small increase as the days go by! Can't thank everyone enough for all the support!

During the times that I have to let 3 hrs pass before pumping again, I'm getting 2 oz. total, otherwise I'm getting about 1.5 oz. Baby is drinking a bit under 1 oz.(27cc)/3hrs, so I'm keeping up with him so far!

I am more hopeful than ever that I will be able to keep up until he can finally nurse!

I also tried the large and x-large horns and it has made a BIG difference. I'm not as sore and I think that has helped with my output, so thanks for that rec.!

@Hilary-I have been able to hold him everyday so far and it does help! We haven't done much Kangaroo Care lately, but I hope to start up again soon.

The hospital won't release him until he can bottle-feed and they won't try that until next week possibly. We might be a ways away, but I'm excited that we are coming to the light at the end of the tunnel!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lml0523 View Post
    During the times that I have to let 3 hrs pass before pumping again, I'm getting 2 oz. total, otherwise I'm getting about 1.5 oz. Baby is drinking a bit under 1 oz.(27cc)/3hrs, so I'm keeping up with him so far!
    This is what really matters. As long as you are producing for his needs, you are doing an excellent job. No need to overproduce, that just causes new problems.

Sounds like you are coming to the end of your ordeal and will be able to enjoy your son very soon! Congrats!!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Congrats on the increased milk! I'm sure that's a huge relief for you. And an even BIGGER CONGRATS for your little one! Those NICU milestones sometimes seem so far off but its such a relief when our little ones accomplish them! If for some reason your little one struggles with the bottle feeding, don't panic. I did and it made things hard on me. My boys would do well one day and we'd see that glimmer of the light at the end of the tunnel and then the next day, they would absolutely struggle. Eventually they DO get it.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Great news mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?