Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is he self-weaning?

Default Re: Is he self-weaning?

Just wanted to encourage you not to stress too much about your supply. I would definitely keep it up by pumping, drinking lots of water, resting and eating healthy. But don't forget that how much you pump is not an indicator of your supply. And if your son does start nursing again, I think that you will find your milk will be back to normal in 2-3 days. I know that would happen with me when Makenna would go on a nursing strike here or there. Other moms on here have mentioned it, too.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

How did today go? Any luck getting him back? Has he been pulling at his ears or had a cold? Perhaps he had an ear infection or strep. Some babies can stop nursing because of the discomfort nursing if they have ear infections or sore throats. Might be worth a trip to the peds for an ear check or a throat swab.

Please keep us posted.
    Alene
    LLL Leader

Hi all,

Well, wish I had better news to report. After giving DS the weekend off from bf'ing, I tried again this am right when waking him...no luck. No interest, just turned away, seemed to know what I was doing before I even moved him into position. Sigh...and he's never gone for any other position than sidelying so I'm feeling stuck there.

No ear pulling or difficulty eating otherwise. A slight cough maybe. Maybe I'll see if I can get him into the peds just to be checked out. But more and more I'm feeling like he's done. Still sucks down the milk from the bottle, although he's not always finishing it like he used to. Seems like that's slowing down as well. Mostly seems like he just wants to eat whatever DH or I'm eating...

I'm feeling like I might just have to be happy with making it through a year. It's just so heartbraking to have him turn away and struggle to avoid the breast, then start to cry it I try to redirect him back.

I'll see about getting him checked out, but my schedule at work is already set to start tapering the pumping next week. I feel like time is running out...I'll keep offering gently through the rest of this week but...

Thank you everyone for your ideas and support, though. I've really appreciated it so much.

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!

Again, I"m sorry. My first weaned at 1 year due to my pregnancy with my second. And my second cut back her nursing sessions WAY before I was ready. It is very hard. Make sure you journal or write in his baby book about your nursing journey so you don't forget!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Thanks sixyearplan and eelme...it's nice to hear that DS and I are "rejects," that this does happen every so often. It sure is hard when it's not what was in YOUR plan. For some reason, in my head I equated less than 18 months as a failure...but that's mostly because of my expectations. And, like yours, DS never did comfort nurse...except maybe after shots or bonking his head...

Yes, I will definitely journal about all of this...including the funny and good parts, of course! I don't want my lasting memory to be of tears on both our parts.

Anyway, I'm still finishing out the week pumping, and then will slowly pump-wean so at least he'll keep getting mommy's milk for a while longer. It will be nice to have my body back, I suppose too--how I've missed PBJ's (he's seemed sensitive to the peanut butter transmitted to my milk) and the occasional adult beverage before 10 pm!

Thanks to all of you...and I'm sure I'll pop up on the boards here and there...while I certainly don't consider myself an expert, I do want to return the favor by at least offering my experiences to other new moms out there, desperate for support as I was for so long. Thank you!

PS Guess I'd better change my signature here pretty soon

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!

Definitely pop back on! And if you search around you'll find a lot more to the forums than just nursing advice. Health, meals, raising toddlers, discipline, etc. Good luck!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Definitely pop back on! And if you search around you'll find a lot more to the forums than just nursing advice. Health, meals, raising toddlers, discipline, etc. Good luck!
    Stick around. A Year is wonderful! I'm sure I'd feel the same disappointment if you had a longer goal, but be proud of yourself, you've done wonderfully!

If you are still wanting to keep trying, I'd just continue to pump and offer every day or two... who knows, maybe a tooth will pop through soon. But no matter what you've done an awesome job and I hope you do stick around!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thanks, and yes--I will still be pumping, altho weaning off it at work...but I do intend to keep offering every few days during that time just to see...and after as long as there's a supply to offer. And, really, even his daycare commented on how drooly he has been lately, maybe there really is a tooth rightthere and once it comes in...

Well, we'll see. I'm trying to feel good about making it a year just in case that's the end for us...but I wouldn't complain if we were able to pick it back up!

And, yes, I will explore the other topics a bit more. I've poked around a bit...I know there's more great advice waiting for me there. And hopefully some for me to share as well

Will keep you all posted if there's any change worth reporting!

Married to Jake 10/7/06

Just getting caught up on this thread... I would agree with LLLAlene and recommend you take him to the ped just for a once-over. When my kids have ear infections, they really never have much in the way of symptoms... usually just a runny nose and sometimes a cough, which most people would mistake for "just a cold." Wouldn't hurt to just get him checked out, to make sure there is nothing physical/health-wise that is causing him pain and making him refuse to nurse.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

First, wanted to say that in one of my previous posts I meant to type that we WEREN'T rejects!!!! Oy! Darn iPhone keyboard

And we're going to the Peds today--we'll see an NP as his dr doesn't work Weds, and I'm fine with that. But it'll be good--if there is something going on we'll address it and I'll keep pumping and offering. If he's fine, tho, I can feel more comfortable saying this is more DS's "choice" to stop. I still will keep offering as I pump-wean at work (& home since he stopped bf'ing) just in case he changes his mind, but I won't feel upset if he continues to refuse. I'll feel like I covered all the bases rather than just giving up because I THOUGHT he was done...if I did that, I know I'd question that decision forever...

Will keep you all posted!

Married to Jake 10/7/06