Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is he self-weaning?

Default Re: Is he self-weaning?

I certainly don't think it will hurt to take a couple days off. He's old enough that he's not going to suddenly forget after two days and you don't want nursing to become a negative in his mind. I would not lose hope yet.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thanks Jeanne,
    That certainly was my concern...that'd he'd get so annoyed with the whole bf'ing situation that he would be DONE with it...and possibly with me. "Geez, that lady is sure pushy with her boobs! What is her deal?? Can't a guy just get a break already?" I didn't offer the breast when we first got home from daycare today like I used to and just played with him instead. Fed him dinner (solids), got him ready for bed, and then DH read to him. I then I came in to put him into bed. For a brief moment it seemed like maybe he was pawing around at my chest, so I did offer...but the moment he turned away I stopped. No crying, which was nice. And I had already had my big cry this morning, so I was fine too.

I guess my plan is to give us the weekend off and just pump , then try again Monday morning and go from there. My schedule at work is still set up for pumping 3x/day through next week...but then I had planned to start pump weaning...so we'll see.

A friend at work (who says her one son self-weaned at 10 months (hmmmm) and her 2nd kid nursed until 20 months) did make a nice comment. She said it was a compliment to us as parents that we had made DS feel so confident and independent and safe that he didn't need the breast for comfort anymore. Yeah, maybe...

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!

Let me know how it goes after this weekend

here is another article on nursing strikes from LLL. It gives a lot of possible reasons for the strikes and a lot of good ideas for getting him back to the breast

ETA: Maybe over the weekend when you are with him, you could do a lot of just hanging around in bed or on couch with tops off, take baths together, etc. Skin-to-skin is often harder with an older baby, but that may help him get that skin-to-skin and become interested again. Also, if you co-sleep, maybe doing that with less clothing than normal would help and you could try to "dream-feed" where you nurse him when he's still asleep The kellymom article said that it is very rare for a baby to self-wean before 18-24 months, and that it's never abrupt, so don't give up yet!!
    Last edited by @llli*jeannie.bean; June 19th, 2010 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    My guess is it's not that he's self-weaning, but that something is bothering him and causing a nursing strike. Also, here is some information on how weaning happens

I would continue to pump until you know for sure it is weaning and not a strike.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    here is another article on nursing strikes from LLL. It gives a lot of possible reasons for the strikes and a lot of good ideas for getting him back to the breast

ETA: Maybe over the weekend when you are with him, you could do a lot of just hanging around in bed or on couch with tops off, take baths together, etc. Skin-to-skin is often harder with an older baby, but that may help him get that skin-to-skin and become interested again. Also, if you co-sleep, maybe doing that with less clothing than normal would help and you could try to "dream-feed" where you nurse him when he's still asleep The kellymom article said that it is very rare for a baby to self-wean before 18-24 months, and that it's never abrupt, so don't give up yet!!
    Jeannie said everything I was thinking. Especially since he is still about a year old I think it is a nursing strike. They don't self wean this early Let us know how it's going.

Dream feeds kept me going with my baby throughout her 12-14 mo. time period. I would feed her while she was asleep - either catch her at the end of her nap, or after she'd fallen asleep and then put her back down. Do you co-sleep? That helps during a nursing strike... Let us know how it's going!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Curious to know if it was a tooth a coming through? How many times does he usually nurse per day?

Hi everyone,
    First, thank you all for your wonderful support...it has meant a ton to me during all of this.
    So nothing much has changed. I had a moment this morning after DS woke that I thought (hoped) he was looking for the breast...but turned away when I offered so I didn't pursue it. We spent a fair amount of time together throughout the day, altho he had long naps (usually catches up after lack of sleep due to daycare scheduling) and time needed to prep for his bday party next weekend (yes, it's more for us than him...I know that ). But I haven't offered the remainder of today. Instead I've pumped and DH gave him the bottle. DS still takes the milk in the bottle happily, so it's not the milk itself. So I'll continue with the same plan thru tomorrow.

To answer the questions: I tried to peer into his mouth and didn't see much to indicate a tooth coming in...but maybe there's some increased reddness to his gums? And previous to all this on our days together, we bf 4-6 times per day. On daycare days, just 2-3 times. He goes to daycare 4 days per week.

Ok, thank you ladies! I'll keep you all posted...wish us luck!

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!

Sorry to hear that he has still been refusing the breast. They are definitely independent at this age! I went through a "mourning" process when my DD dropped her 5-6 nursing sessions to 2-3 around 13-14 mo. VERY SAD
    But now that she's really done, it feels right. Somehow, even if you aren't ready to wean, and the baby does, it's ok because THEY chose it - they self weaned and you know that they are happy and healthy. Does that make sense?
    You can learn to enjoy him in new ways, even though your breast feeding relationship might change. Hope he nurses again, but even if he doesn't you've done a great thing for him! A year is along time!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Thanks, Erica. I appreciate that. Iam starting to feel less optimistic about this, especially since it appears my supply is really starting to be affected. :-( sigh. Not the way I'd planned, but if this turns out to be the end of our bf'ing relationship--for whatever reason--I'll do my best to feel good about what we overcame and how long we did make it...

Married to Jake 10/7/06