Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is he self-weaning?

Default Is he self-weaning?

Hi again!

So yes, Luke is 1 week short of his 1st birthday! And as I mentioned in a previous thread, it's MY plan to just day-wean and STOP PUMPING at work!!!! I'm happy to continue with 1st morning and last evening bf'ing if he desires...as well as during the day on my days off if he wants....except...I'm now wondering if he's done. What does this sound like to you?

DS has always been happy to bf right before going to sleep, as well as first thing in the am...probably in the last few weeks, he's been taking less during the day on my days off, seemed more interested in solids rather than my milk. DOES still take bm in the bottle at daycare, tho, so it's not a flavor issue

However, the last 2 nights DS has either completely refused the breast and cried, or only taken one side for a short time and then started screaming if I tried to get him to latch on again. He's also only taken one side in the am, or if he takes the 2nd it's only for maybe 10 seconds and then refuses/cries if I try to again latch him. Today (my day off during the week), he's refused the breast after his first nap but is taking some solids now...

So...is this self weaning? Is my little boy growing up and moving on? *sniff*

Thanks for any thoughts...so happy to stop pumping, but I'll be sad if I'm also losing our special time together so quickly now...

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!

Default Re: Is he self-weaning?

hugs. I guess it's possible. Any sign of teething or ear problems that might be bothering him? I would probably just continue offering and not make an issue of it if he's not interested right then. You could also try nursing him when he's still sleeping, after nap and in the morning.

He could be or it could just be due to teething or a phase. Keep offering if you want to continue. You may be surprised that after a few days he takes right back to it.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Thanks ladies...I will keep offering...and maybe I will offer a "dream feed" right before I go to bed. And I'll do my best to not get upset if he is clearly not interested. Just seems crazy that he'd be done so suddenly. Maybe I'll also try a different location, different support pillow...who knows. Hopefully, tho, you're right and it's something like teething (he has been drooling a lot again, altho teething never seemed to interfere with nursing before) or an ear ache (with daycare, he seems to get lots of little bugs!). I'll keep you posted!

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!

Ugh, had to pump because of discomfort. Hope this isn't "it." This is really throwing me for a loop...tried to nurse him right after his nap, different location, different pillow. He literally squirmed away, and then when I tried to reposition and latch him on he took my nipple and immediately popped off and started crying. And then has a hard time stopping crying. Heartbreaking. Makes me want to STOP offering because it upsets him so much. Sigh...

Married to Jake 10/7/06

My guess is it's not that he's self-weaning, but that something is bothering him and causing a nursing strike. Also, here is some information on how weaning happens

I would continue to pump until you know for sure it is weaning and not a strike.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Wow...the nursing strike article sounds almost spot-on. I will keep pumping and hope for a return to happier times soon. Ugh, tho. That means pumping at home too. Oh well--DS is defintely worth it!! Certainly a (hopefully) few days of annoyance is nothing compared to his health...
    Thank you!

Married to Jake 10/7/06

Hmmmm...I'm unsure again what's going on. So still no bf'ing again today. Refused this am and again at night (it's a work day). Took the bm in a bottle at daycare without any problem so it's not the bm he's opposed to. But each time I offered the breast he showed no interest at all, either positive or negative. He only started crying if I pushed the issue--tried to pull him closer or repositioned him in general. Sigh... Should I give him a day off from the breast altogether and just not offer? It's tough because he's never been one to "ask" for the breast, has never really reached for the girls or nuzzled my chest. Just if I offered, he took. So I don't think I'll get any indication from him that he's again interested except that he'll "take me up on my offer."

Anyway, even though I'm now more suspicious of calling this a strike, I plan to continue offering and pumping if he refuses for a week...then reassessing the situation if we get to his birthday without a return to the breast.

Bummer, possibly. It had been my goal to reach at least 18 months...I guess boys will be boys and do what they want, no matter their age.

So any thoughts on giving him and the girls a cooling off period for a day or two???

PS I am hoping to resolve this one way or the other soon as I have plugged ducts developing already. I sure am missing baby's ability to clear those out...

Married to Jake 10/7/06

Is there anything that could be bothering him (new deoderant, perfume, soap?) I'm stumped too It seems awefully late for him to suddenly prefer a bottle. I hope others have some input or BTDT advice.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

No, nothing new that I can think of. Everything is the same. Even laundry detergent. I did start a new bottle of conditioner, but I think that was long enough before all this started that it's likely not that. I can certainly not use it and see if there's any change with DS. He has been drooling more so I could say maybe he's teething...but he doesn't seem to have any issue anywhere else. Eating, taking a bottle, his sippy cup, his paci. I've considered taking away his paci for a bit...but he really only uses them in his crib for sleep and during car rides to/from daycare so I'm not sure that'd make him not want to suck elsewhere (me, that is). And besides, teething previously NEVER made a difference in bf'ing. And yes, he does have a bit of a cough...but he's at daycare so he's had tons of bugs and it's never impacted nursing.

It's just crazy. Certainly this is somewhat the way I hoped weaning would go--him choosing to stop rather than me feeling like I was "taking it away from him"...just I didn't want it to be so soon.

So any thoughts on a day or 2 "off"?

Married to Jake 10/7/06