Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting limits on a toddler that doesn't eat solids...

Default Setting limits on a toddler that doesn't eat solids...

We are really struggling here. Lucy wants to nurse all the time. And I'm noticing Daniel, for the first time, getting a bit jealous. He comes and lays his head on my chest when shes nursing. Then Lucy freaks out cause she wants "other side!!!"

So whats hard is that Lucy will not eat solids. She will have a couple bites of dinner. Thats about it. I offer her every meal and snack that D has. But she just doesnt care. She'll eat crackers. She'll hold a piece of cheese forever. She has to have her own smoothie, but doesn't drink more than a sip.

How do I still meet her nutrition need but also start setting limits? She'll be 2 in August.

I'm wondering if its time for feeding therapy.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Setting limits on a toddler that doesn't eat solids...

sarah did that and her iron was low after we got her iron on track she ate much beter.

IF its bugging daniel maybe it is time to set limits.

Have you tried not sitting down? That works with some kids.

We've had her iron checked. Its great, its even higher than Daniel's. There have been times where she eats normal meals. That lasts a day or two.
    Lyn

thats good!

Hmmm .... not eating much at almost 2 I'd start thinking about checking out if there are any underlying issues either medical or feeding aversions. Hopefully not but that gives a better idea what you're dealing with.

Does eating normal meals happen on the same days she's nursing less?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Hmmm .... not eating much at almost 2 I'd start thinking about checking out if there are any underlying issues either medical or feeding aversions. Hopefully not but that gives a better idea what you're dealing with.

Does eating normal meals happen on the same days she's nursing less?
    Nope, nursing doesnt seem to affect meals. Some days we are out and she nurses every 3-4 hours, but she doesnt really eat any more solid food. Maybe a cracker here and there. Because she was IUGR, I have read that that can cause delayed solid acceptance, even texture issues.

There are some things she will always eat. Mac & cheese she rarely refuses. But my thing is, I dont want her to ONLY eat that every single day, kwim? I'm torn. DO I let her have this totally simple diet of crackers and mac and cheese (homemade or organic)? Or do I offer every single meal and let her pick and choose what to eat?

At dinner she always eats the meat. The veggies are hit or miss. Often times she chews it all and spits it back out. She sometime swallows the carrots if they are cooked.
    Lyn

Lyn- I think it is time to get her checked out . Worst thing they say is there is no issue and she just likes nursing since it is comforting and "easy".

I cannot express how grateful I have been that DS started feeding therapy early - in his case it was clear that intervention was needed but the earlier you figure out what is going on, or if there is anything going on, the easier it is to start working on it. DS eats almost all textures now - the only real issue we have is getting him to eat enough/not try and bribe us for junk food when we are out with friends - but that is something other moms deal with too so I will take it . At home and school, he just eats a little slower than others, but other than that he eats just like a "regular" kid.
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

Okay well I took her to the ped yesterday for a rash that isnt going away. And we had her weighed then. She is 23 lbs 14 oz @ 22 months. A month ago she was 22 lbs 4 oz. So she is gaining.

I've been really watching her eating habits. Yesterday she ate 1.5 nectarines (she peeled them with her fingers ). She ate crackers and some dinner (only the meat). She seems to be a snacker. And doesn't eat much in the morning at all.

So it seems she only eats when and what she wants to eat.
    Lyn

Did you talk to the ped about it?

DS didn't really start "eating" until after DD was born. I know I am the only one on here who thinks this, but I don't think it is so terrible to have them eat their favourite think a.lot. But you know, I had an underweight kid who I didn't have breastmilk for. So I tend to allow him to eat most things as long as he gets calories. I give him the food he likes along with a variety of other things (ie what we are eating). Most of the time he will try anything/everything. But he goes through periods (of a few weeks) where he won't. I try not to stress it.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    Did you talk to the ped about it?

DS didn't really start "eating" until after DD was born. I know I am the only one on here who thinks this, but I don't think it is so terrible to have them eat their favourite think a.lot. But you know, I had an underweight kid who I didn't have breastmilk for. So I tend to allow him to eat most things as long as he gets calories. I give him the food he likes along with a variety of other things (ie what we are eating). Most of the time he will try anything/everything. But he goes through periods (of a few weeks) where he won't. I try not to stress it.
    I was coming on to say this too. I don't think it's terrible to let them eat mainly their favorites for a while either. Eventually they will grow out of it and expand their tastebuds.

I was a really super fly picky eater. I remember it making my mother crazy. But I was really stuck on textures as a kid and I liked strange things like cooked spaghetti that had dried a little or lima beans, couldn't get enough of lima beans. And only egg whites but wouldn't touch a yolk to save my life. But I eventually grew out of it. It did last a long time too though.

Maybe get her checked out to ease your mind. But it sounds like she's doing well anyway. Gaining weight still, good iron. Those are two good things to focus on. Sometimes it truly does seem that some kids exist on air. Somehow they still grow.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens