Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would bottle feeding be better?

Default would bottle feeding be better?

hi! i have overactive letdown (it will choke my 2 month old and spray him in the face when he pulls away) and it causes him to swallow a ton of air. would it be better to use bottles to feed him expressed milk? it's next to impossible to get all the burps out of him. he also has reflux and things have been much better since he's sleeping in his carseat all the time, but i think he'd be better still if he wasn't swallowing so much air. i have tried self-expressing past the point of the spraying, but he still gulps pretty bad.

in addition to knowing if it would be better to bottle feed him, how long with this forceful letdown last? will it always be this way with him? with every child? (this is my first) he is absolutely THRIVING! he was born at 5 pounds 8 ounces and is now almost 9 1/2 pounds!!!

thanks!

Default Re: would bottle feeding be better?

bottlefeeding and pumping is alot of work!

have you read about block feeding? That might help

OALD sucks doesn't it? BTDT. I would not jump to bottle feeding- that can cause issues with nipple confusion and it can be a PITA. Have you tried laying back with your LO on top of you to nurse? that can help OALD. You said you are expressing to letdown and then catching the spray so that is good. I would keep doing that along with reclining back. The other thing is that soon your LO will be better at keeping up with the letdown. I found that around 3 to 4 months my LO was better able to keep up with the letdown.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    The other thing is that soon your LO will be better at keeping up with the letdown. I found that around 3 to 4 months my LO was better able to keep up with the letdown.

Overactive letdown problems tend to peak at around two months, so you're probably seeing the worst of it now. It'll get better.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Are you block feeding? Here is a link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html With block feeding can help somewhat. As can other nursing positions in the link. As pps said, as baby gets older they can handle it better.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

thanks for all the info! i will definately look into the oxygen thing-i hadn't heard that. as for blockfeeding, he only eats from one breast at each feeding and will usually go 2-3 hours before wanting to eat again. and as best as i can understand, that's the gist of blockfeeding anyway, right?

i don't understand how to maneuver feeding with him on top, but i'll see if i can find some images somewhere. (at 30 i still love picturebooks!)

This link has a few pics: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html The rightmost pic shows the "Australian or "down-under" position.

I'm with the PPs: don't go to pumping and bottlefeeding if you can help it! It is so much more work. Pumping, storing, warming, and transporting milk. Endless washing of bottles and pump parts. Choosing between maintaining your pumping schedule and caring for your baby. Trying to figure out how to pump in public- it's much harder than nursing in public! And worst of all, pumping tends not to maintain supply as well as a nursing baby does. You have oversupply now, but IMHO that's preferable to undersupply and having to supplement with formula!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't really have anything to add except I pumped 4-6 times a day while she was in daycare to provide EBM for my DD. HARD!!!! I would NEVER voluntarily EP. I think if you follow the recommendations regarding block feeding you'll see significant improvement. Supply/Demand tends to even out by 3-6 mo. I strongly urge you to try the block feeding before heading down the EP route.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mkathays View Post
    thanks for all the info! i will definately look into the oxygen thing-i hadn't heard that. as for blockfeeding, he only eats from one breast at each feeding and will usually go 2-3 hours before wanting to eat again. and as best as i can understand, that's the gist of blockfeeding anyway, right?
    If feeding on one side every 2-3 hours isn't helping you can increase the time blocks. Try feeding twice on the same side and see if that helps. The idea is to let each side stay full longer so it send the signal to your body to produce less milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I would be careful about block feeding. I am lopsided because I prefered one side more without knowing I had to spend equal time on each side. What I do now, is nurse on big side until letdown, then switch until squirting stops, then switch again. yes, for me, it has always been like this and has not changed. I'm just past the 7 month mark, too. FYI- I bottle feed in public because it's easier than dealing with the mess of milk and more importantly, the frustration for my little one. hope this helps a little.

First time, full-time working, nursing and pumping mommy to Mr. Roman Alexander, born 12/07/09.