Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk leaking from baby's nostril ?

Question Milk leaking from baby's nostril ?

I can't figure out why, but when I'm nursing, little drops of milk leak out of my 5 week old daughter's nostril?? Depending on which side she's laying on, it just leaks out of that side of her nose. What is going on with that??

Default Re: Milk leaking from baby's nostril ?

It's interesting that you bring that up. With my ds I noticed that he did as well when he was around a month old. He has gotten out of it now. I'm not sure what causes it or anything. I assumed that it's just like adults, you know how sometimes people sneeze and if they had just had something to drink they would sneeze it up. Somewhere the mouth and nose have a passage line and that's what causes it. I'm sure I didn't really help there.

All three of mine did it and I was told it was normal. If they get really congested all the time, though, that's a sign of something else (reflux, allergies, or reflux caused by allergies--that's what my third had.)

I tend to think it's really over active let-down, but if it doesn't bother them, why worry?

My DD had that problem when I'd nurse her laying down. I proped her up on a pillow to nurse in bed for the first month or 2 until my let down slowed a bit and she could handle the milk that was coming out. Does it happen when she's horizontal or when she's already propped up? If it's from over-active let down it'll probably resolve itself when your supply evens out.

Jennifer