Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: High Lipase... needing info

Default High Lipase... needing info

My baby is almost 7 weeks old, and tonight I defrosted a bag of month old breast milk. It smelled a little funny and had a vomit aftertaste. Now figured it is because of high lipase. I have LOTS of milk stored, and I am hoping my little one will take it just fine when it is needed (to supplement if supply tanks or after I wean). When I go back to work I am planning on pumping the day before at work for what is needed the next day, feeding from the breast when I am at home... but at some point I will use my freezer stash. Now that I am found I have an issue with high lipase,I have a few questions:

1. When did you notice the high lipase levels showed up in your milk? Was it days in the fridge or after freezing? If freezing, was it after a certain amount of time the taste changes? I am testing a batch in the fridge to see when mine changes.

2. If he takes it fine, should I go ahead and start scalding what I am planning on storing from now on? I am worried his taste will change and in the future he make reject the milk even if he takes it fine now.

3. If you little one refused the high lipase milk, did you have any luck if you mixed it half and half with fresh milk?

I am soon going back to work and felt really good about my large freezer stash. But the high lipase issue has me upset and worried. Any info or additional insight into the issue is GREATLY appreciated!

Default Re: High Lipase... needing info

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*soonersenorita View Post
    1. When did you notice the high lipase levels showed up in your milk? Was it days in the fridge or after freezing? If freezing, was it after a certain amount of time the taste changes? I am testing a batch in the fridge to see when mine changes.
    It will depend on the level of lipase in the milk. It is different for every person so you are on the right track by doing a test to see how long it takes.

2. If he takes it fine, should I go ahead and start scalding what I am planning on storing from now on? I am worried his taste will change and in the future he make reject the milk even if he takes it fine now.
    I would start scalding even if he will take the milk. That way you don't have that fear that someday he might refuse it. I know for me it would give me some peace of mind.

3. If you little one refused the high lipase milk, did you have any luck if you mixed it half and half with fresh milk?
    If you have some extra milk that you aren't afraid of throwing out I would try this. You may find out that you can mix them at a certain percentage and he will drink it. It is worth a shot.

Good luck!!!
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

do you have a deep freezer?
    How are you storing the milk in the freezer?
    7 weeks isn't a very long time.

I gave him a frozen bottle today... he took it fine. But I am going to go ahead and start scalding in case he doesnt take it in the future. I am storing in a deep freeze. Thanks for the feedback.