Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could I be loosing my supply???

Default Could I be loosing my supply???

This is probably a question you dear experienced LLLadies hear all the time
    I'm starting to get worried about my supply.
    My son is 15 weeks. We just had a few very fussy days - lots of nursing, he no longer sleeps more then 2 hrs at a time (and he used to sleep for 8 straight for a month), and very fussy and unhappy. He also been nursing every 1.5-2 hrs (opposed to ever 3-4 as before).
    He looks satisfied when he is done with the breast, but wants to nurse again so soon?
    Then we had last night - which was a nightmare - we went out to dinner with him, he was behaving wonderfully, ate at a restaurant, and on the way back fell asleep. Never woke up as we put him down; then woke up 2 hrs later screaming. I nursed him, he quieted down for about 15; and then from then on he would not stop crying. We tried everything - rocking him, listening to music with him, sssshhhhing him, spanking him (this sounds wrong - he really likes for us to lightly and rhythmically spank his butt and back when he is falling asleep), swaddling him. In the 4 hrs after he woke up, he nursed 4 times. He also seems to really not be gentle about it, bites down a lot and my nipples are now as sore as they were the first couple of weeks.
    After about 4 hrs of this, my husband put him into a baby bjorn facing him (so there aren't too many distructions) and went for a walk for 45 min. He came back, carrying a pig in a blanket (Kai wrapped in baby bjorn) who was deep asleep. As soon as we tried to put him down - screaming again. DH ended up sitting down holding him and he seemed asleep the entire time. Then I took over - I semi-sat on the second bed holding him so my hubby can get some sleep - he had meetings all day today, and it was around 3 am by then. I sat with him for 2 hrs, and then managed to put him down and he slept for 5 hrs. We decided that it was probably due to teething (even though we cannot see anything)

Now... when I woke up to nurse him, I wasn't overfull like I usually am in the mornings. That kind of scared me. Could all this be because my supply is getting lower and Kai is just really hungry?

He does get 8-9 wet diapers a day at least, and he has been pooping every day/every other day or so which I think is normal for a bf baby.

Oh, now I am really worried. Any advice/explanation of this behavior?
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Default Re: Could I be loosing my supply???

Do you think he has an ear infection? Or something else like that going on? Could be a growth spurt. Also, your body has probably adjusted to him not nursing at night and that's why you're not as full when waking up. Is he still acting this way? I would take him to the doctor if it's been going on for a few days to rule out an ear infection.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I don't think its an ear infection... No fever, he didn't have a cold or anything like that. He has been REALLy fussy. Right now he is fine, although still eating every 2 hrs but he is happily playing on his excercise mat. I will try to put him down for a nap in about an hour...

I'm guessing growth spurt. Also, one thing I have learned about sleep is that it changes constantly. So he may have been sleeping 8 hours a night for the past month, but don't get used to it. He's waking up more to the world and realizing that he can get you to come when he calls. He could also be starting teething early - although my money is on growth spurt.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I also was going to say growth spurt. But it could just be a rough patch. One thing that everyone always says about babies is that the only thing that is sure and constant is change! I recall a few nights laying on the living room floor with ds thinking, how am I going to live through this, but I did. As far as milk supply, as long as he is having enough wet and dirty diapers, he should be fine. One thing I do if i am worried about low milk supply is eat some oatmeal, I feel like it boosts my supply and calms my worries. Sorry this is kinda rambly.... Good luck!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

We just had a few very fussy days - lots of nursing, he no longer sleeps more then 2 hrs at a time (and he used to sleep for 8 straight for a month), and very fussy and unhappy. He also been nursing every 1.5-2 hrs (opposed to ever 3-4 as before).
    There are so many reasons why this could be happening. Teething. Development. Growth spurt. Ear infection. They all make more sense than low milk supply, since a baby who is producing adequate wet and poopy diapers and growing and seeming satisfied after nursing is getting enough to eat.

And nursing every 1.5-2 hours is totally normal. Many babies nurse that frequently throughout their first year, and into their second.

What worries me is why the change in his nursing habits all of the sudden? And previous growth spurts were 1-2 days, now its been like this for about 5...

Did you say that you think it couldn't be teething? It might be. Also, Lilah nursed a lot more sometimes and I think she was staving off a sickness.
    Tracie

Mommy to