Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weird question - advice needed !

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Default Weird question - advice needed !

I have no clue where to post this and am hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

My boys are bottle fed for now, 100% bm. They do suffer from reflux and I'm still fighting with the doctors over their meds. Not my question though.

We are having what I call a "weird" feeding day. It happens every once in a while and I have no clue why. The boys started fussing at 3am. I heat up their bottles and by the time I come back to them, they're asleep. Darnit. They were WIDE awake a few minutes ago! I keep the bottles nearby, wait a little bit to see if they wake up, no. Fall back asleep for about an hour and then they wake up hungry. Go to feed them, they drink for about a minute or so and fall dead asleep. Can't wake them back up. Change them, lay them back down and anywhere from a half hour later or more, they wake back up to eat. Sometimes they finish, sometimes its an eat and fall back asleep thing. Its frustrating because I feel like I'm constantly feeding them and I have an almost 3 year old who needs constant attention.

Its CLEARLY a feeding thing because on the days it happens, it happens at feeding times. While I love spending time with them, I'm downright exhausted right now since I've pretty much been up and down all night.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? We NEVER had this issue with DD.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Default Re: Weird question - advice needed !

When they wake up, is it possible to wait 5 minutes before getting them up? Maybe they would fall back to sleep on their own? I'm not advocating CIO! It just seems from your post that they aren't ready to get up yet. However, I've never had twins. JM2C
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

I do usually try and wait it out when they start fussing and then it takes a few minutes to get the bottles warmed up. I'm just at a loss. This isn't a daily thing, thank goodness but happens every few weeks or so. I have a hard enough time falling asleep and waking up and this is NO FUN.
    Lori

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

Congrats on feeding them BM! I am an EPer so I know the hassle of bottle-feeding in the middle of the night, getting up all the time, etc. Hopefully this is a short-lived phase. I agree with the previous poster - try to wait it out if possible (but not all out crying, of course) - they could be waking up out of habit. If I understand your signature correctly they are about 6 months old? Maybe teething? My LO was up a lot like that when he was teething....
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

They have pretty much done this since day one and they are 5.5 months old. They just don't do this every day, that's what's so weird. I DO try to let them CIO for a bit, but I absolutely can't let them go for very long because with their reflux, if they cry hard, they puke. (Don't get me started on the reflux issues, they're not getting resolved any time soon. ) The boys can go from dead asleep to screaming bloody murder in an instant and then by the time the bottles are ready, they're sound asleep again. Today, DH decided to put them back to sleep when I was making their bottles and then tells me not to wake them up. WTH?!?!

As far as teething goes, that's always a possibility, but since it's been happening from day one, I doubt it. That was the doctor's initial excuse, too but I think that's pure laziness. Hence, why we're seeing a new doctor ASAP. I have tried feeling in their mouths and all I feel are their tooth buds for ALL their teeth. I know with DD, it took her a good solid 3 months for each tooth to come through and it was absolute HELL. I sure as heck hope that's not the case now.
    Last edited by @llli*lleonard5; June 16th, 2010 at 08:21 AM.
    Lori