Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reglan vs. domperidone

Question reglan vs. domperidone

Now I know that we aren't supposed to give each other medical advice, etc. but just wondering about personal experience & word of mouth.

Is one better than the other for milk? I'm 2 wks into a 4 wk course of reglan and it has helped some (along w/ fenugreek, blessed thistle AND mother's milk tea. and pumping.) and I'll certainly finish the bottle but since I'm still not quite up to speed I was wondering if domperidone is better.

Thanks in advance!
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Default Re: reglan vs. domperidone

I haven't taken Reglan because I have a history of depression and am currently being treated for severe PPD.

I am taking Domperidone and it helps me tons! When I remember to take it, lol. I've been slacking between being sick and DS being too fussy for me to pump. When I first took it (regularly) I was pumping 1/8 oz a day. After 6 days, I was pumping 1 1/4 oz a day! I'm hoping that once I get back into it, my supply will come back up. My supply has stayed pretty steady at about 1 oz a day, despite slacking on the domperidone and the pumping. I have dropped down to 30 mg of domperidone a day (3 pills once a day) and 3-4 pumpings a day and still stuck at 1 oz a day...

I have heard from several mama's that domperidone works better...

Good luck in whatever you decide!!

Oh, try eating oatmeal... 3 cups a day!

I have tried both. I saw nothing with the Reglan. After less than a week with the Domperidone, I was getting about 1/3 more. I went from being able to pump 1.5 ounces to 2-3 ounces. I would recommend trying the Reglan first though, as it is much easier to obtain and covered by most insurance. Sounds like you've already done that.

The most important thing to increase your milk is to put the baby at the breast as often as possible (10-12 times a day is ideal).

Good luck!

Thanks, guys. If things aren't better after this course of Reglan I may try and get some domperidone from Canada or something. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to, money is an issue.

But I'm doing everything they say to do. I've tried every old wives' tale except beer because I don't care for it, lol. But I eat oatmeal daily, I take blessed thistle and fenugreek and I drink the mother's milk tea twice a day with a "milk enrichment" tincture from Whole Foods that's got a whole bunch of stuff in it.

Things are getting better, though. I've been reducing the amount of supplement she's been getting and she still seems satisfied. I hope to have her weaned off formula completely within the next few weeks. She's not quite 2 months and I want her to be back to EBF by 3 months.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006