Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Soapy tasting milk

Default Soapy tasting milk

I have been worrying after reading all the other posts about scalding that my milk might be bad too. So I unthawed some of my stash to test it. It does have a mild soapy smell and taste but my little girl drank it no problem. I really don't want to scald my milk but my freezer stash is so important too me because I am an EPer and I don't know if I can keep going much past six months. I have a huge freezer stash of over 2000 oz and I don't want to throw it out.
    Do you think that if my daughter drinks it now with no problem that she will in a few months. Or will she start to reject it once she is bigger? Anyone with any experience with this too?

Default Re: Soapy tasting milk

If your baby drinks the frozen EBM then IMO don't worry about it!

According to kellymom.com:

Most babies do not mind a mild change in taste, and the milk is not harmful, but the stronger the taste the more likely that baby will reject it.
    If you're concerned - you can start scalding before you freeze and start using some of the oldest part of your stash.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I agree, no need to worry unless your baby rejects it. It will not hurt your baby.

Was there any other reason that made you worry about the lipase issue or was it just reading posts that made you worry?

ETA: were you using your oldest milk when you tested it?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    If your baby drinks the frozen EBM then IMO don't worry about it!
    soapy milk here too. I pumped until my DD was 14 months and she always took the milk with no problem. The issue is if it smells sour or rancid. You will notice, it will STINK and taste gross.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I was just worried about my milk because I was reading all the other ppl posts.. I thawed out some milk from April 13th (it is in a deep freeze) and fed to my daughter this morning. It smelled and tasted so soapy, but she drank it without any problem, and no throwing up after. I tasted it and it left a little sour taste in my mouth afterwards too. My husband says to feed her some frozen everyday and see if she will keep drinking it.
    Am I a bad mother for letting her drink bad tasting milk? I want to throw it all out and start scalding from now on but my husband says not too because she is eatting it and I have so much milk frozen. We also have no milk bank around in Canada so it would all go to waste.
    Should I just keep it and scald from now on, or cut my losses and throw it out and start new? I never thought I could be this emotional about milk I was just hoping to be able to slow down pumping and still keep her EBF till a year.. Thanks

I would keep it and just scald from now on. As long as she is drinking it there is no need to worry. The milk isn't bad just a little off tasting- has the same nutrients and everything and won't make her sick. I know how precious that freezer stash can be.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    I would keep it and just scald from now on. As long as she is drinking it there is no need to worry. The milk isn't bad just a little off tasting- has the same nutrients and everything and won't make her sick. I know how precious that freezer stash can be.
    Yep, I would do the same. As long as baby doesn't reject it, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the milk, it won't make her sick. If I were you, I'd keep my frozen stash (but start slowly using it), and scald from here on out.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.