Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lipase issue...lots of Frozen milk!

Default Lipase issue...lots of Frozen milk!

My son was taking bottles fine and now that he is 8 weeks old and I am preparing to go back to work he is fussing at the bottle that he gets once a day. I have been reading about lipase issues on here and am wondering how I know if that is the problem or not. Is there some way to tell...I have read about a soapy/sour smell and I dont really smell that when the milk is defrosted but we also do not heat the bottles up we just warm the milk in warm water before giving them to LO. Any advice or help you ladies can give me I would appreciate it. I have a large freezer stash and if this is a problem then I need to start rebuilding a good stash now since i will be returning to work next month. Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Lipase issue...lots of Frozen milk!

You can smell and taste the milk. If it smells and tastes fine to you then it is probably good. If however it smells or tastes rancid/soapy then it probably is a lipase issue.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Yep - smell & taste. DS1 refused bottles of previously frozen EBM. After trying everything I tasted some and it smelled / tasted HORRIBLE.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks Ladies...I will try it the next time we pull milk from the freezer. I hope that is not the problem though I have a lot of milk stored!