Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Pump advice

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    49

    Default Pump advice

    Hi ladies. So I'm headed back to work on June 28. My son will be 12 weeks old and will be at daycare from 8:30am until around 5pm (8.5hrs). I currently have a Medela Swing pump which works out well if I'm just pumping every once in a while.

    My job is a little demanding but they are being super supportive of my desire to pump. They've got a room set up and everything. My issue is I need to do this as efficiently as possible. My questions are 1. how many times a day should I expect to pump? 2. If I wanted to get a double pump which one should I look into? I've heard good things about the Pump In Style Advance but I'd love to hear from some of you that have it.

    Thanks so much for all the help and support ladies!
    Mama to Nathan born 4/2/2010, 6lbs 13oz and 20inches long

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Pump advice

    I have a Medela Freestyle which uses the same technology as the PISA (2 phase expression) and really like it. I would recommend the PISA or the Freestyle. Expect to pump every 3 hrs or morning break, lunch break and afternoon break.

    Definitely definitely invest in a double electric pump! I can't imagine trying to keep your supply up and pumping at work with a single. Also remember that you should be able to use your pump for several children if you have more.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Landof2toddlers, Oregon
    Posts
    3,113

    Default Re: Pump advice

    I would try to pump three times a day if possible. A minimum of 20 minutes. If your job is done a a computer on on the phone a room with one of those things in means you can work and pump.

    As far as the pump goes, you def need a double electric. Call your health insurance company and ask them if they cover breast pumps as durable medical goods. If they say no call back and ask someone else. If they really don't I would look into buying a freestyle. I have heard that the prices here are comparable with the PISA elsewhere.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

    • my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.


    If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

    Family beds are awesome

    Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: Pump advice

    Thanks so much ladies. I do have the benefit of having a room I can bring my computer to while I pump and I can always forward my calls to my cell phone which is a plus. I'll shoot to pump 3 times per day and I'm definitely going to invest in the double pump. This way I can do all of this a little more efficiently.

    I do have one more followup question. For all of you ladies pumping at work I suspect you've had days when you couldn't pump your 3 times per day or whatever your normal schedule is. Have those days impacted your supply at all?

    Thank you again for all the help and support. All of this is making my difficult transition back to work feel a little less daunting.
    Mama to Nathan born 4/2/2010, 6lbs 13oz and 20inches long

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Pump advice

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*etdragon View Post

    I do have one more followup question. For all of you ladies pumping at work I suspect you've had days when you couldn't pump your 3 times per day or whatever your normal schedule is. Have those days impacted your supply at all?
    with the PISA. The only thing to add is that you should look into a hands free pumping bra or something that will let you pump hands free so you can do other stuff.

    As far as your question - I always made pumping a PRIORITY. I need to feed my child, so I need to pump. Things can wait 20 minutes while you go pump. I never missed a pump session. my boss knew that from x:xx to x:xx I was unavailable. I'm an accountant and deal with month end closing/year end closing and other busy times. Very demanding, but never missed a pump.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

    Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: Pump advice

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    with the PISA. The only thing to add is that you should look into a hands free pumping bra or something that will let you pump hands free so you can do other stuff.

    As far as your question - I always made pumping a PRIORITY. I need to feed my child, so I need to pump. Things can wait 20 minutes while you go pump. I never missed a pump session. my boss knew that from x:xx to x:xx I was unavailable. I'm an accountant and deal with month end closing/year end closing and other busy times. Very demanding, but never missed a pump.
    A hands free pumping bra is a brilliant idea that I never even thought of. Thanks for that!

    I definitely plan on making pumping a priority but I have a bit of an interesting job. I'm an engineer and there are times when I have to spend long stretches of time in a classified room dealing with classified data or a meeting or some such thing. You aren't allowed to bring ANY outside electronic devices into those rooms so bringing my pump in wouldn't be an option. I also have the occasional time when I have to travel for a day or so without very much notice. When I'm in my office in my normal routine I'm just going to put my pump times down in my calendar as unavailable but it's these weird situations that I worry about.
    Mama to Nathan born 4/2/2010, 6lbs 13oz and 20inches long

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Pump advice

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*etdragon View Post
    A hands free pumping bra is a brilliant idea that I never even thought of. Thanks for that!

    I definitely plan on making pumping a priority but I have a bit of an interesting job. I'm an engineer and there are times when I have to spend long stretches of time in a classified room dealing with classified data or a meeting or some such thing. You aren't allowed to bring ANY outside electronic devices into those rooms so bringing my pump in wouldn't be an option. I also have the occasional time when I have to travel for a day or so without very much notice. When I'm in my office in my normal routine I'm just going to put my pump times down in my calendar as unavailable but it's these weird situations that I worry about.
    hmmmm....that is tricky. Maybe missing one once in a while wouldn't hurt, but I'd probably try to make up for it later, you know? Just to be safe. With traveling the PISA has peices you can either plug into your car or use batteries. So you can always pump (safely of course) while driving or just sitting in your car.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

    Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: Pump advice

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    hmmmm....that is tricky. Maybe missing one once in a while wouldn't hurt, but I'd probably try to make up for it later, you know? Just to be safe. With traveling the PISA has peices you can either plug into your car or use batteries. So you can always pump (safely of course) while driving or just sitting in your car.
    Awesome I think I'm sold on the PISA. I believe I can get a decent deal on it from Amazon (hooray for the internet).
    Mama to Nathan born 4/2/2010, 6lbs 13oz and 20inches long

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wild Wonderful West Virginia
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: Pump advice

    Once I forgot my pump when I had a long meeting in another location and aside from getting very engorged and uncomfortable, I had no long term effects. I was worried about that, too. Also the other day we were having a graduation ceremony and I was so busy that I forgot all about pumping until an hour later than I was supposed to. But my breasts reminded me by leaking! I Yes, definitely make pumping a priority. There will be times when it is not conveinant (sp?) to pump, but you just have to go. You will be at your job longer than your child will need you to pump.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Pump advice

    I usually notice my supply is lower the day after I work but I also am under alot of stress at work and am running around constantly. I do make pumping a priority and have never gone more than 3 hrs while at work. My supervisor knows that it's very important to me and that's the way it is.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •