Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If I'm pumping, will that make OALD worse?

Default If I'm pumping, will that make OALD worse?

Hi. My baby is 4 weeks old. I'm going back to work in about 2 and a half weeks. I'm going to start pumping and getting her on a bottle. We did a bottle yesterday and she did very well. She went back to the breast later with no problem. My question is will pumping make my OALD worse if I'm doing it while she's still breastfeeding just as much? Or will doing one bottle a day help with this. It seems like the OALD is subsiding. She doesn't click or pull away from the breast as much. I don't want to make it come back again by the pumping, but I need to pump to get a supply for when I go back to work!

Default Re: If I'm pumping, will that make OALD worse?

Hi there!

Will you be able to pump while at work? If so, you can avoid the need to "stock-pile" too much. That way you can also avoid encouraging the return of your OALD. I understand you want to have some milk set aside, but, to answer your question, yes pumping in addition how much dd is nursing can increase supply and OALD symptoms.

HTH!

I have been feeding her on one breast per feeding and then pumping the other breast. I don't do this every feeding, just a couple times a day. I'm also having someone give her a bottle at least once a day so she gets used to it. Do you think a couple times a day will make it that bad if one feeding she has is a bottle anyway?

I have OALD and ended up with oversupply problems from pumping too much. My LO only ate off of one breast, but I was pumping both breasts when I was away from him at work(twice a day) That led to way too much milk and it made the OALD worse. I wish that I would have tried to pump out only enough to get you through a few days of feedings at work so when you start work, you're only pumping when you know your baby is getting a bottle at daycare, and then only pumping what your baby needs for the same feeding the next day. That should be the same supply and demand relationship that you and baby have right now, and shouldn't make you oversupply and have problems. You may have to alter that a bit during growth spurts to keep up though.