Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 wk old nursing 5 min on 1 side each feeding

Default 9 wk old nursing 5 min on 1 side each feeding

Hello everyone

I was just concerned the my 9 wk old dd only nurses for 5 min each feeding on 1 side about every 3-4 hours during the day. At night she will go for about 6 hours and will nurse for 20-30 minutes in the middle of the night. She seems to be growing and has lots of wet diapers, only 1 bm a week though.(I read that is normal sometimes) We also have been dealing with OALD, and I am getting a better grip on that. I hope she is getting all the hind milk she is supposed to. Please help!!!! Thank you

Default Re: 9 wk old nursing 5 min on 1 side each feeding

One BM per week?? Normally, as I have been told, the healthy rate would be 2-3 BMs per 24 hours! (5-6 disposable wets, as well.)

I also have been dealing with OALD, and my little one also nurses in much shorter sessions, often only 5-10 minutes on one side. But her dirty and wet diapers continue to follow the minimum suggested amount for getting enough breastmilk, and she is gaining weight well, so I can assume she is getting a bellyfull in that short amount of time.

Have you talked to your pediatrician or a lactation consultant?

Good luck to you!

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Usually Oversupply goes hand in hand with OALD. I'll bet you have oversupply issues. If your LO is one eating for 5 minutes, and gaining weight well, it could be because LO is getting plenty in that amount of time. On the other hand (this happened with my last child), if OALD and OS are so bad, the baby will eat the bare minimum to get by, because feedings are so uncomfortable, and kind of scary. I'd say work on bringing your supply down with block feedings.

Quote Originally Posted by mommy23littleangels
    Hello everyone

I was just concerned the my 9 wk old dd only nurses for 5 min each feeding on 1 side about every 3-4 hours during the day. At night she will go for about 6 hours and will nurse for 20-30 minutes in the middle of the night. She seems to be growing and has lots of wet diapers, only 1 bm a week though.(I read that is normal sometimes) We also have been dealing with OALD, and I am getting a better grip on that. I hope she is getting all the hind milk she is supposed to. Please help!!!! Thank you
    How is her weight gain?

Is her one bm a week a really big, overflowing diaper, poopie up the back and down the legs, blowout?

Thank you for all your replies Her Bm's are playdough like in the begining and more watery towards the end and green in color but not a whole lotof it, maybe a normal size bm?(I know that because she decided to have a bm when I was changing her )In the early weeks her bm;s were yellow and seedy. It's just been in the past 5 weeks the change has occured. The pediatrician wants me to give her karo syrup everytime I give her a bottle which she never gets bottles.(of milk) I was told by the on call doc to give her a suppository, well I did and she never went. She finally went about 4 days after that and it was as I descibed above. I have tried apple juice and nothing seems to work. When she does go, she doesn't strain and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. Her tummy is always soft and she passes alot of gas everyday. I have read several web sites that say its normal for breastfed babies to only go 1x per week and in some cases 1x every 2 weeks.
    Thank you all so much for your help

Sorry I forgot to mention her weight gain. She weighed 9lbs 6oz at birth and lost down to 8lbs 4oz and at her 2month well check she weighed 11lbs 10oz

Wow she's 11lbs! I'd say that is a good weight for a 2 month...cuz my bigger twin is almost 12lbs. I have to say that I have always had the opposite and never heard of BF babies going only 1 a wk. Usually BF babies go OFTEN...my boys go 2 to 4 times a day. I would check it out with your own pedi. Did you tell your pedi that baby doesn't get bottles? I think BF babies are supposed to have watery stools and not too formed. But I wouldn't worry too much cuz your baby sounds like she's growing! Good luck.