Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not again!!!

Default Not again!!!

Looks like I have to dump my entire freezer stash. Again. .
    The first time I realized that I had to dump my stash was a few months ago. My ds has dairy protein allergy and in one of my random waking moments in the middle of the night I realized that he could not have any of the milk that I had pumped. I do not know how much there was, but there was A LOT!! I started pumping again (much to my displeasure) to build up my stash again just in case.
    On Saturday I decided to start using what we have in the freezer before it "expires". I gave lo some thawed milk in a cup with a straw, he took a drink and looked at me funny....took another big drink and just spit it out all over the place. After that he did not drink any more and just played with his cup. When I went to clean up I noticed that the milk smelled really funky!!! After a little research here I am asuming that I have a lipase issue.
    This is so frustrating to me because now I have to toss all the milk in the freezer again and I am debating if I want to build up another stash. I know that I should...just found out that dh is leaving for almost a year and I guess that if I want anyone to babysit for any lenght of time I need to have some. I just dread building up another stash and having something happen to that one also!!!

Sorry for the rant... I just needed to vent...
    First time mom to my sweet suprise

CJT born November 13, 2009
    I am a ~ ~ ~ momma and proud of it!!
    This past year has been one crazy ride, definately looking forward to what the next one brings!!

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Default Re: Not again!!!

Awwww, man! That absolutely stinks. I lost two weeks' worth of milk when my fridge/freezer went and I'm still struggling to make it all up PLUS constantly worrying that my fridge/freezer is going to die again at any time.

Hope it all works out for you!
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Your LO is getting old enough that when you leave him with someone for a couple hours, you might not need to leave milk. If your LO is starting solids, he could do that instead, or a cup of diluted juice. Then, when you get back with baby, nurse right away.

That might take some of the pressure off to produce a lot of milk to store, along with scalding (although that's really pretty simple in practice, btdt). Just a thought.

I must say... I don't have a freezer stash I stopped building one while nursing baby #2 and never tried to make one for #3 (who refused frozen milk anyway). So I personally do not think you have to have one, particularly if your baby is in the second half of his first year.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you for the support ladies!!
    At this point I do not think that I am going to make a freezer stash. I guess if I need to leave ds for any length of time, I can just pump before I go (if needed). It has been so crazy stressful around here lately and adding pumping on top of the mounting list of things to do just does not sound fun. I guess we will just play it by ear at this point. Thanks again, your words are very helpful and reasuring!
    First time mom to my sweet suprise

CJT born November 13, 2009
    I am a ~ ~ ~ momma and proud of it!!
    This past year has been one crazy ride, definately looking forward to what the next one brings!!