i have a couple of questions regarding occasional pumping. i'd love to hear some thoughts on the topic.
first, my baby is 7 weeks old. we've given her a bottle of EBM once, and she took it no problem.
second, i have an issue with overactive letdown. i don't think it's a major problem, but once or twice a day baby gets frustrated at rate of flow and fusses/screams at the boob. we have had a few bad days where she has fussed at many feeding attempts, though.
third, i offer my baby 1 breast per feeding, as suggested by a LC to deal with OALD.
so. i'm a SAHM but am looking to introduce a bottle of EBM once or twice a week. my husband would be giving baby the bottle during two hour or so absences once a week while visiting his parents.
as of yesterday and today, i pumped for 10 minutes on the unused breast after the first AM feeding. i'm scared to death of overdoing it and creating more problems for myself!!!
my questions regarding pumping are:
1. is pumping the unused breast for 10 minutes after the first AM feeding a good course of action to avoid oversupply problems?
2. should i pump this way every day, or just for a day or two leading up to when he'll be giving her the bottle? i just have a hand pump, and i don't get loads of milk (i got 1 oz of milk this morning from the unused breast in 10 mins - so i don't think pumping the morning of would work).
3. is there a danger that pumping a little bit will make my OALD worse?
4. how much pumped milk should we have for a 2-3 hour absence?
5. will i have to pump during the baby's absence where we'll only be a part for a couple of hours?
thanks in advance.