Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Replacing Membranes on Medela PIS

Default Replacing Membranes on Medela PIS

If you pump with a Medela PIS, how often do you replace the membranes? Yesterday I thought maybe I needed to replace because my output was TERRIBLE, but then as it turned out my LO didn't finish all of the bottles I left her that day so I was able to get away with not having to go into my frozen stash for today (yay!)! Today my supply was back up to normal...weird. Anyway, yesterday I thought maybe I needed new membranes so I ordered a bunch on line, but then after today...I don't know?

Just curious now how often those membranes need to be replaced.
    Mom to Caroline born 01.11.10, a 8 y.o. son and 10 y.o. daughter!

Default Re: Replacing Membranes on Medela PIS

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mhcmom View Post
    If you pump with a Medela PIS, how often do you replace the membranes? Yesterday I thought maybe I needed to replace because my output was TERRIBLE, but then as it turned out my LO didn't finish all of the bottles I left her that day so I was able to get away with not having to go into my frozen stash for today (yay!)! Today my supply was back up to normal...weird. Anyway, yesterday I thought maybe I needed new membranes so I ordered a bunch on line, but then after today...I don't know?

Just curious now how often those membranes need to be replaced.
    I used to replace the valves and the membranes like once a month. I think this was excessive but these parts are the real pump and they are cheap so I figure
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

I replace my less often only because I have 3 sets of breastshields that I rotate. It also depends on how often you pump. I pump anywhere from 8 to 12 times a day since I'm an EP mom.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

I replaced the membrane and valve after 3 months of pumping at work 3x per day, but that was only because a piece broke off while I was cleaning one day.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Thank you ladies! I pump 2x per day and have been since March, so maybe they need a change.
    Mom to Caroline born 01.11.10, a 8 y.o. son and 10 y.o. daughter!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lavenda319 View Post
    I replaced the membrane and valve after 3 months of pumping at work 3x per day, but that was only because a piece broke off while I was cleaning one day.
    Exactly what happened to me.

mine is a bit ripped but has not fallen off, should I change it? it still seems to suction when I look at it using the mirror

I would, if it were me, just to make certain everything is in tip top working order to maximize your output.