Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: active baby at the breast

Default active baby at the breast

Hi,
    My baby has always been an active baby at the breast. He also makes alot of clicking noises while on the breast. It doesn't hurt, and he has the whole areola in his mouth, but sometimes he is so active that he comes off. Does anyone else have that problem. He also is a very big boy 20 pounds and four months old. I sure would love to hear from someone with the same experience because sometimes it can be frustrating. Thanks,
    Angela

Default Re: active baby at the breast

The clicking IME (especially w/a baby that large) is genreally a sign of OALD that the child has learned to control w/ his toungue. MY son did the same thing. ANd the popping off is a sign of the same thing but it genrally at this age is done to avoid choking.
    Very very soon the popping off w/ be due to distractions. I'd get a nursing necklace before it's too late! PM if you want to know where I got mine!

What's a nursing necklace?

A nursing necklace is just a beaded necklace, usually made with beads that are baby safe and in bright colors and shapes that babies like. The baby will look at, finger it, and so on while it nurses as to avoid other distractions that might have s/he looking around and pulling off.

I don't have any solutions for you but I can relate! My dd is not even 3 mos yet and she moves around constantly. I can only imagine how much fun it will be feeding her as she gets older. Good luck to you! Maybe we'll get some good suggestions from someone else...

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

It does get tougher, at least for a little while, as your lo gets older- especially when they start discovering the world. Some moms find that going in to a dimly lit room with few distractions helps to get over the hump (between 4-6 months or so) when babies are especially distracted.

Have hope, though. As they get older, they nurse less, become more efficient nursers, and the positions they nurse from are quite comical. Today, ds was marching in time to "Bob the Builder" on the i-pod while I sat nursing him and while I was preparing dinner he stood on his stool while "helping" me measure and nursed as we cooked! At this point, I think he could nurse on his head if he wanted to.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Wink Re: active baby at the breast

I have a 16.5 pound four month old that has "clicked" since she was 4 days old my dr. and lactaton nurse says it is her way of eating fast and not choking and some babys just do it by reflex actions and as they get older they will grow out of it. Good luck to you .

mum of Vanessa Marie 4 mo, shane 7 yrs, & sissy 5 yrs
    all Bf until they were almost 2 yrs and stopped on their own.

Thanks everyone, it helps to know that other people have the same frustration. Nursing seems to go alot better in the morning. I guess that's because there is more milk in the morning. I hear him gulp alot. Thanks everyone.

I am just curious, where do I get these nursing necklaces. I have never heard of one.

Thanks, I will look into getting one. Things seem to be looking up. He seems to want to nurse for a longer period of time. And I always know when he wants to get off. We have also started with cereal, and he loves it. I mix it with my milk and warm it up. Thanks again for showing me the website about the necklaces. angela.