Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle Rejection at 7 months

Default Bottle Rejection at 7 months

Help! My ds is 7 months old and has been at daycare 5x a week for the past two months. Usuaully, he takes four bottles a day with no problems. This week, he has stopped taking the bottle. At first, I thought it was b/c he had a stuffy nose. But his nose has since cleared up and he's only taking 1 bottle a day now. He nurses well, he's not teething (already has two on the bottom) and he's eating 2-3 solid food meals a day but refusing the bottle from both daycare and his daddy. I don't want him to starve for the 11 hours I'm at work....any ideas? Should I try a sippy cup? Water? Juice? Is this a phase? My mother keeps telling me "he's weaning" but I doubt this very much since he nurses like a pro. Help!

Default Re: Bottle Rejection at 7 months

At 7 months, I would try other ways of getting the milk into him -- it's not worth fighting the bottle issue if he's just not having it, KWIM? And he's too young to start getting juice or water regularly -- he needs the milk to remain the mainstay of his diet all the way to 12 months at least.

You might consider trying a sippy cup with a soft/flexible spout. Remove the valve insert so he doesn't have to suck hard (those things are little germ catchers anyway, IMHO), and have your caregiver hold him and the cup for feeds (so he doesn't fling the cup and spill lots of milk).

I've also heard of fairly young babies drinking through straws, but I don't know if that is possible at 7 months -- just another idea.

If none of these ideas work out right away, then you might want to encourage more night nursing while you are together. Watch his diapers etc. for signs of dehydration. I hope you can find a "new groove" quickly -- babies do keep us guessing!

--Rebecca

I know a mom who's baby wouldn't take a bottle and she tried to increase his milk intake a bit by having the dcp mix bm into the solids. This of course wouldn't be able to completely replace a bottle feeding, but maybe could help get him just a little more? It is also often recommended that all solid meals be given while mom is away, so that while at home, baby will nurse more. Again, probably won't be able to get him all the milk he needs this way at only 7 months, but maybe would help a bit if you are not doing this already.

I have a 4 month old who is now rejecting the bottle. He has been offered bottles since he was a month old with little problem. Now neither DH nor his caregivers can give him a bottle. Luckily, I only work PT and the longest I am gone is 5.5 hours. He sleeps 5 hours with maybe naps that total 3 hours during the day. While awake in my presence, he eats about every 2 hours.

I have been back at work for a month and thought that perhaps this might have something to do with the rejection, but why has it just started this week? I should note that DH says he has not been able to feed him for a month, but he's been fine at the sitters. We also started cereals last week, but he's only been given a bowl 4 times.

Should I not worry since he still nurses well? Should we continue introducing solids and let his other caregivers feed him those if he is hungry?

Could it be "reverse cycling"? He eats well from the breast at home and throughout the night. He took a bottle twice last week at daycare if it was chilled, not warm, and this week I'm going to have my dh try a sippy cup. Will it hurt him much to just eat jar food and oatmeal at daycare and nurse in the evening until he gets over his bottlephobia?

I just posted earlier today with the same problem.. My six month old is doing the same thing. She has been at daycare for almost 3 months and has taken a bottle like a pro. She will not take a bottle from my hubby or the daycare provider all of a sudden. She will take solids from both of them. Both mom and dad and daycare are coming to the end of their rope.
    Last edited by Baker Smurf; October 9th, 2006 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling

We had the same thing going on and I gave up with the milk. I nurse him directly. Strangely he will take juice from the bottle. And at daycare, he gets oatmeal prepared with breastmilk. However, he's only there for a maximum of 6 hours so it's OK to hold out with the milk. He never got over the milkbottlephobia but oh well. As long as there is still an interest in nursing at the breast, I think it's fine.