Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Difficulties pumping-- letdown?

Default Difficulties pumping-- letdown?

I am exclusively breast feeding my almost a month old daughter and I have not been pumping very much. My husband would like to start giving her a bottle and we need to stock up in case we need to leave her with someone.

I am having a problem pumping. When I pump, I barely get anything... maybe a few mLs. I found that when she is nursing the let down on the other breast is greater so one day I tried pumping while nursing her. I was able to get about 1 ounce. Yesterday I did the same thing and got a lot more ounces (maybe 4 total both breasts) but I had to keep switching my lo over and pumping while she was feeding.

My question is, how can I get my letdown to come with just pumping? Or is there something I can do to help with pumping only? More time? More pumping? I can pump for 10 minutes and get barely anything, but when I attach my baby, I get a lot more.

Thank you!

Default Re: Difficulties pumping-- letdown?

I see the best results if I pump one breast while DD is feeding on the other side.
    DD born 02/23/10 7lbs 7ozs - 18.5 inches
    1 week 7lbs 2ozs - 20.75 inches (I think the hospital measured wrong)
    2 weeks 7lbs 14ozs - 22.5 inches
    8 weeks 10lbs 14ozs - 23.5 inches
    11 weeks 11lbs 15ozs
    4 months 13lbs 15ozs - 26 inches

DSS - 50% custody - 04/03/07
    DSS - occasional wknds most holidays and all summer - 11/16/00
    DSD - occasional wknds most holidays and all summer - 06/02/99

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*isabellasmama View Post
    I see the best results if I pump one breast while DD is feeding on the other side.
    this is true for most people.

If you pump at the same time everyday it might help. To help with let down you can try a few things: have your baby where you can see/smell/interact. Listen to a crying baby. Bury your nose in something that smells of baby.

What pump are you using? The better double electrics have two pump cycles - one to bring on let down the other that more efficiently drain the breast.

And btw for being able to pump so much when your baby is around. You have an excellent supply
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*isabellasmama View Post
    How often do you pump and feed? Each time? I was doing it in the morning hours (7-1p) depending on how awake my LO was.

Do you then in turn, switch feedings from each breast each time you feed your lo?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    this is true for most people.

If you pump at the same time everyday it might help. To help with let down you can try a few things: have your baby where you can see/smell/interact. Listen to a crying baby. Bury your nose in something that smells of baby.

What pump are you using? The better double electrics have two pump cycles - one to bring on let down the other that more efficiently drain the breast.

And btw for being able to pump so much when your baby is around. You have an excellent supply
    I have a Medela Pump in Style, double pump, but I usually don't double pump.

I will try the baby tips. and more skin to skin! Thank you!!