Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping is making my supply go crazy!

Default Pumping is making my supply go crazy!

I just started pumping last week once a day (only 1.5 ounces at a time) in order to store up some milk and to use with solids. LO is 5 months and EBF with a very rare bottle of EBM. Well, the very day after I started this I woke up extremely engorged, especially on the right side. I know pumping increases your supply, but I didn't think it would do it this much! It's been the same everyday since. I can just express some right before I feed her, but she's still getting SO much foremilk on the right side. I'm just wondering if this will balance out or if there's something I should do differently. I started pumping just in between feedings, but I've heard pumping right before decreases your supply and pumping right after increases it. That doesn't totally make sense to me, because I would think if you're pumping your body is going to produce more? But anyway- just wondering if anyone has a solution to this problem! Thanks!

Default Re: Pumping is making my supply go crazy!

Pumping before will not decrease your supply.

Is it necessary to pump every day? If you're just storing for solids maybe try once every 2-3 days.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Well, I guess I could, but I was also hoping to store some up for when she weans, then she could continue getting bm in a bottle. I had thought about that but didn't know whatthat would do to my supply since I'd be changing it up? But maybe I will try every other and see how it goes.

1.5 oz a day seems like a small amount to send your body into such overdrive. Could there be something additional going on, a growth spurt causing your little one to take more and increasing your supply? Going longer at night before that am engorgement? So it's mainly just the right uberboob that is engorged is that the side you are pumping or do you pump both. Hmmmmm, a mystery. Maybe you are just super sensitive to slight increases in demand like that.
    Hannah Aug 17/2009 (5pd15oz) Hyperemesis & Preeclampsia

Still almost exclusively Just hanging on to our one per day!