Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Several storage questions

Default Re: Several storage questions

I personally didn't like the Medela bags as well b/c I couldn't get them to freeze flat. I use the Gerber storage bags. They recently changed them, and I don't like the newer model as well as the old, but still better than any of the others I've tried.

We use Playtex drop-ins, and these bags fit right in the bottles so I don't have to buy separate liners.

Several of my friends use Medela bags and love them, so I think you have to just experiment. I wish there was a way you could just send off for a free sample of all this stuff, ya know?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I personally didn't like the Medela bags as well b/c I couldn't get them to freeze flat. I use the Gerber storage bags. They recently changed them, and I don't like the newer model as well as the old, but still better than any of the others I've tried.

We use Playtex drop-ins, and these bags fit right in the bottles so I don't have to buy separate liners.

Several of my friends use Medela bags and love them, so I think you have to just experiment. I wish there was a way you could just send off for a free sample of all this stuff, ya know?
    I'm currently using the Lansinoh bags because I've had issues with all of the other bags in the past. But the Lansinoh bags went from the flimsy cheap plastic (which I always had issues with) to this thicker plastic. Even the thicker plastic ones fail and I'm sick and tired of finding breastmilk spilled everywhere. I've just now gotten into the habit of defrosting my bags in a dish or bowl so that I can catch any that leaked out.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lleonard5 View Post
    I've just now gotten into the habit of defrosting my bags in a dish or bowl so that I can catch any that leaked out.
    I started doing this too. I've also been known to use a medicine syringe to suck up breast milk I've spilled on the counter when pouring from collection bottle to bag...
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I used the lansinoh bags for many, many months and only had a few that leaked. The ones that did I wasn't surprised because something happened, like I dropped the frozen bag on the floor. You do have to be careful with them once frozen because they can get punctured easily (true for all brands, though).

I would lay down flat to freeze and then stack into a gift bag--the smaller ones are the perfect size for a breastmilk bag. I could stack about 12 bags of milk in each. That way it is easy to move and not getting banged up by other things in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post

I won't use the samples of gerber bags I got for the silliest reason. I read the bf support guide that came with them and so much of the information was wrong that I don't trust them to have made "safe" bags.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mima View Post
    I used the lansinoh bags for many, many months and only had a few that leaked. The ones that did I wasn't surprised because something happened, like I dropped the frozen bag on the floor. You do have to be careful with them once frozen because they can get punctured easily (true for all brands, though).

I would lay down flat to freeze and then stack into a gift bag--the smaller ones are the perfect size for a breastmilk bag. I could stack about 12 bags of milk in each. That way it is easy to move and not getting banged up by other things in the freezer.
    I lay mine flat to freeze and then I have 3 ice bins in my freezer that I use for the bags. Mine lay sideways instead of standing so I can close my freezer.

Aside from the bags that were defective from the get go, the ONLY thing I can think of is that bags were damaged when my fridge died. The freezer stopped working and I had quick thrown bags in a grocery bag to transport to neighbor. They left the bags balled up. I had to parially defrost em so I could flatten em out.

Who knows. I seem to have defective bags no matter what brand I buy.
    Lori

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    Has anyone had better luck with the Medela bags? I rarely freeze but based on the experiences I have had I would much rather freeze in regular 5oz medela bottles (not that I would freeze that much at a time DD is a 3oz serving kind of girl)
    I haven't had any problems with the Medela bags. I also have used Lansinoh, and as long as I freeze them laying flat, I haven't had any problems. I like the Lansinoh because you can store more based on how you freeze them. I like them Medela because they seem more durable.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Well, I have to run out in a little bit. I may pick up a different brand and see how that works out.
    Lori