Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Several storage questions

Default Several storage questions

Plz forgive me but I am really clueless when it comes to bp storage. I feed my dd till she was 2.5 but never pumped. I have a month old dd now and she is in and out of the hospital so I must pump w/ this one for when we are in the hospital because they measure everything going in and coming out. So I am pumping 2 - 4oz bottles extra a day. I am out of the bottles they gave us at the hospital and wont be back up there for another 20 days. I am not really loving pumping into medula bags. So what other bottles can I pump and freeze in? Do they need to say for breast milk freezer storage? Why is the storage longer in a deep freeze than a side freezer? Thanks!

Default Re: Several storage questions

I love these but they probably aren't big enough for your needs. According to medela their regular bottles can also be frozen.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I think the side freezer it just isn't as cold.

You can always pump into the bottle then transfer to the bag, that's what I did. Or try glass bottles?
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shell62995 View Post
    I am not really loving pumping into medula bags. So what other bottles can I pump and freeze in?
    I am not sure which bottles you can freeze into. I pump into the Medela bottles, and then transfer the milke to either the Medela or Lansinoh breast milk storage bags.

Do they need to say for breast milk freezer storage?
    Yes, the storage bags you use should say for breast milk storage.

Why is the storage longer in a deep freeze than a side freezer?
    In a typical household refrigerator, the milk will be good longer if stored inside the freezer, rather than the freezer door. Since the cold air flow is in the rear of the freezer, this portion will be colder than the freezer door. When opening and closing the door during normal use, this will cause the freezer door area to be room temperature and it will take longer for the refrigerator to cool it down since it is the furthest point from the air flow.

This is the same idea with the refrigeration compartment. My frig isn't large enough so that I can put the jug of milk upright in the fridg, so I am forced to put it on the door. I've noticed that the milk spoils quicker than when I am at my mom's house (where the milk is stored inside).

Breastmilk stored in a deep freezer will last even longer because a deep freezer is typically set at a lower temperature (0 degrees F, I believe) than a household refrigerator ( < 32 degrees F).

Thanks!
    You're welcome!
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    I love these but they probably aren't big enough for your needs. According to medela their regular bottles can also be frozen.
    I have a few of these.... I got free samples from Medela. For my needs, they are too small. I believe they only store 2 oz.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

I used a medela pump, pump into the bottles it came with, then pour the mild into lansinoh storage bags, it's marked to 6oz but it holds more than that... I loved them....http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Breas.../dp/B000M16Y7U
    Amy~
    first time mommy, 2-15-09 to my lil bambina from then til ?, done with pumping!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rubestersmommy View Post
    I used a medela pump, pump into the bottles it came with, then pour the mild into lansinoh storage bags, it's marked to 6oz but it holds more than that... I loved them....http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Breas.../dp/B000M16Y7U
    me too. I was afraid to pump into the bags. I was afraid it would fall off or something. Just be careful with the lansinoh bags. I loved them and all but if you bang them around too much they'll break or get tears in them. Good luck mama.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    me too. I was afraid to pump into the bags. I was afraid it would fall off or something. Just be careful with the lansinoh bags. I loved them and all but if you bang them around too much they'll break or get tears in them. Good luck mama.
    I pump into the medela bottles that came with the pump and then transfer to breastpump storage bags.

Also, your side freezer gets opened and changes temperature even slighlty than can change the temp in the freezer.

Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

I was going to ask a question about storage myself. I'm an exclusive pumper for now and I pump A LOT. I have the Snappi bottles that the hospital gave me, but they tend to wear out and don't want to snap closed. Plus, they only hold 2.5 oz if you fill them up to a certain point.

I'm using Lansinoh bags and this time around am having nothing but issues with them. I've pulled bags out of the package that had full-on holes in them and had to throw out two of the large boxes of bags because the majority of them were damaged. Lansinoh did replace them. But I have since purchased more and I'm finding that they are either damaged from the manufacturer (they just started making the bags thicker and it's still no help) or they are damaging after freezing. The only thing I can think of is either it's a dud product, or the bags were damaged recently. My refrigerator/freezer had died and the milk that I was able to salvage was balled up in my neighbor's freezer until I could get the bags to soften up enough to re-freeze them flat. (They were only defrosted enough to soften them, they were still pretty frozen -- don't panic.)

I'm now in the process of using some of my older stash and twice have had bags leak all over my counter or in the dish that I was defrosting the milk into. Right now, I'm having a milk production slump, so I really really really can't afford to lose any milk.

I've tried other brand bags and haven't had much luck with them. I'm at an absolute loss.

Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lleonard5 View Post
    I'm now in the process of using some of my older stash and twice have had bags leak all over my counter or in the dish that I was defrosting the milk into. Right now, I'm having a milk production slump, so I really really really can't afford to lose any milk.

I've tried other brand bags and haven't had much luck with them. I'm at an absolute loss.
    I had heard good stuff about the Lansinoh bags. But we have had some issues. The last one we tried to use was a complete disaster. I actually like the medela bags better (I got a couple of free samples) and they are made to attach to the pump. You can kind of see it on the pic here

Has anyone had better luck with the Medela bags? I rarely freeze but based on the experiences I have had I would much rather freeze in regular 5oz medela bottles (not that I would freeze that much at a time DD is a 3oz serving kind of girl)
    Last edited by @llli*durhamgrrl; June 2nd, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.