Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OS or OALD causing blood in stools?

Question OS or OALD causing blood in stools?

My DD is 4months, healthy happy and growing well. 15+lbs now and was 7lb 7 at birth. We have been having specks of blood generally in small amounts in her stool since she was 2 months old. I have been dealing with an os/oald since the start. I didn't realize what it was till about 4-6weeks I think. I was so frustrated with sore nipples and a bad latch, and felt horrible about the choking/gulping and her getting frustrated with eating. I started block feeding. I think it was prob helping a bit the choking seemed to slow down and my letdown got less painful. I was starting to get concerned about her poop starting to have green and maybe brown specks in it as well as mucous. A LC told me to avoid dairy/soy/peanuts/shellfish in case she is irritated so I wouldn't further irritate her gut.

At my DD's 2 month appt the Dr had never heard of blockfeeding nor had the nurse anyways they told me to stop blockfeeding and go back to "normal". She also got her vaccines that day. I had been off dairy/soy/peanuts/shellfish for about a week at that point and seen no improvement. They told me I didn't need to do that and I should just start with one food at a time and/or just reduce the amount I was eating. The Dr put her on zantac prob a week before her 2 month appt(because I was calling the office with questions about spitting up/projectile vomiting(2x), and screaming) Well I"m a new mom and now figure that her symptoms we're pretty normal and she was just gassy and the spitting up always tended to be when she ate a lot! The Dr also tested a couple diapers for blood and they came back negative.

So that night I went home and stopped blockfeeding, ate normal, monitored her for any reactions from the Vax.
    The very next day there was red blood in her stool and we've been dealing with it since then.
    I have been off dairy/soy for 2 months, eggs for 5 weeks, and wheat/nuts/peanuts/shellfish/fish for 4 weeks. Nothing seemed to have led to an improvement. Somedays are better than others and then we go back to where we were. In general I always saw the blood in the first or second diaper of the day in correlation with her first feeding on an overly full breast.
    I saw a Ped GI 4 weeks ago. She wanted to put her on formula and have me pump and possibly do an endoscopy. I opted to cut more food out so I could keep bf because that seemed like the better thing to do for DD. We had blood work done and stool tested again. Blood work was fine, no occult blood in stool(even though we could see a couple red specks), elevated white blood cells and eosinophils. I felt like the GI didn't really know much about breastfeeding and I didn't find it very helpful.
    Saw the LC again at the support group I go to and she said definately go back to blockfeeding and stay on the elimination diet to reduce the chance of causing any allergies while she is irritated. So I have been blockfeeding about a month....but also started pumping once a day and was doing both sides at once. So I was prob overstimulating, and oatmeal seems to make my supply increase(so I've cut that out too), and I was starting to switch sides more frequently at night because I thought she was hungry, but I think she was just frustrated with the slower flow.

Right now I'm blockfeeding at 5hour intervals from the time I start on a side. It's still spraying and she is choking/gulping again on the first and second feeds on a side. I am still pumping once a day but only on one side one hour after she eats and goes to bed and I stop at 1/2-1oz.

Sorry this is so long! I'm wondering if it is because of the OS/oald which is causing it. If its the oald would it be beneficial to pump/express off an ounce before she eats? Or would it be just the oversupply?

We go in for her 4month appt today. So we'll see what the ped says about the GI visit. I at least think the Ped is more pro bf. I would like to get her off the zantac because I don't think she needs it. The last appt I mentioned that and the ped said they normally keep them on it till they outgrow the dose. Seems stupid to give my dd medicine if she doesn't need it. I'm opting out of the rotavirus vax today as well.

Default Re: OS or OALD causing blood in stools?

It CAN cause blood in stools. I'm not certain if it is in your case. It sounds like she is doing well now!

Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable on the subject of OS/OALD will chime in.

When was the last time you had her stool tested? Sorry, I was confused if you meant they were blood free when you went to the GI a month ago, or if you cut out more foods, then retested later and then it was free of blood.

Here is a thread about dealing with bloody stools and the elimination diet. It might be helpful. It sounds like you have been doing it for awhile, but you might find some info useful. http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=35435

Thanks: The Dr tested for blood at 2month appt because I said I had seen dark green specks and maybe dark brown specks in her stool. The test came back negative. So at that point in time we had never officially seen blood. Although the very next day I saw red blood in her diaper and this was the first time I had ever seen blood. Since then we have seen small amounts of blood in her diapers almost daily but not with every stool. I took diapers with me to the GI appt and she sent it for testing for various things and it came back negative for blood....but we saw blood in this particular diaper so that was wierd. When I say I see blood I'm talking about specks the size of of a period "." Sometimes I have seen a more substantial amount but nothing that looks like she is losing a lot of blood.

We did have some specks of blood in DD1's diaper a few times when I was dealing with OALD/OS. It only happened a few times, but it was the only thing I could think could be causing it since she had no other indicators of allergies or anything like that. It looked like someone had shaken pepper in her diapers.

I wouldn't pump to try to fix it - pumping definitely made things a lot worse for me. Your body gets the message to make milk whether that's from feeding baby or from pumping. What I did was block feeding. Within about a 4 hour block of time, I'd offer just one breast. If she wanted to feed again during that time I'd offer the same breast again. This made sure she got enough hind milk and helped to slow down production in the breast that wasn't being used. If the other breast got uncomfortable during that time, I'd hand express JUST enough to take the pressure off. Pumping first before feeding your baby will just give your body the message to keep making that milk. I think I did it for about a week and it really helped get things under control. OALD and OS tend to go hand in hand, so if you can control one (OS) you will automatically be helping the other (OALD).

Another thing I did was let the first letdown spray into a cloth before latching DD back on. It helped slow it down for her a little and made sure she wasn't getting overwhelmed with just foremilk.

Sorry if that was a bit jumbled, I have a 22 month old sitting on my lap helping me type!
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

ugh! Ok I take that back. Just had a diaper with quite a few spots and streaks of blood. I've also been giving her culturelle probiotics a few times in the past week.

Well at least my pediatrician seemed to still be pro BF because the GI certainly was not and I told her that and she agreed. However she is pro BF I feel like she is completely un-educated/knowledgable about it or problems arising from it. Here is the game plane we came up with she got her vaccines and we wait a couple days to make sure there are no adverse reactions, then stop zantac(which she said could go either way in that it's hindering her digestion ability(which was my suggestion) or it's not a large enough dose to stop the acid which could irritate and cause blood), wait a week or so and then go on another elimination diet. She gave me a printout of one that was for "detoxfying your system" had nothing to do specifically with BF/food allergies and once again she didn't seem knowledgable about it. It cuts out citrus/beef/pork/corn in addition to the dairy/soy/peanuts/shellfish I have been doing but would add back in nuts and fish. I think I may look into Dr Sears or Dr Jay Gordon elimination diets also which cut down to a couple foods and then add stuff back in.

I have a question about blockfeeding and I should possibly repost on it's own since I don't know how many people are reading this. I've read a lot about it such as keep them on the same side for a few feedings or set amount of time etc.
    What is better 4am-8am left side----8am to 12pm right side----12pm to 4pm left side----4pm to 8pm right side

or

this is what I am currently doing

4am is Left side and I stay on that side for 5hours everytime she eats, so until 9am. Then say she eats at 9:30 I feed her on the Right and start counting my 5 hours from the 9:30 feeding. She will eat 2-4+ during these blocks.

Do you always stay with the same time on blockfeeding or are you supposed to start slowly weaning the time down that you spend on a side? Because if you didn't do that it seems to me you are just triggering your body to make enough milk to feed her for 5+hrs on one side. When I switch sides the other side is generally engorged/sometimes painful/occasionally starting to feel like clogged ducts. It always sprays and she generally gulps and chokes at the first maybe second feeding on a side.

Since she is sleeping through the night on "most" nights for 8hrs I think I generally end up going close to 12 hours without a feed on one breast per day. How do you know when your supply is going down? In the evening when she cluster feeds I can't tell if she is mad because the flow is slower or because she has drained the breast?

I have also been drinking peppermint tea(like straight peppermint leaves) to help reduce supply but I"m not sure it's doing anything....I've read that peppermint oil tends to do a better job.

Thanks so much for reading my super long post Any help is appreciated!