Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeling so bad!

Default Feeling so bad!

My poor 3.5mth old daughter has thrush (quite a bit on her tongue and may be even the roof of her mouth). I had given her 10days of nystatin, then gentian violet and now again gentian violet. She has also diaper yeast, this is the 4th time for that and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Just now i started the 2nd round of gentian violet and i feel terrible. She is all purple and i feel so bad giving her this stuff as it says toxic on the bottle and i read about some study that was also disturbing. The doc wouldn't give diflucan as she is too young. When i give her the med, she obviously doesn't enjoy it and gags a few times. Then i put her on her tummy but i still think she is eating quite a bit of this stuff and i am not sure about its safety. The bum doesn't bother me as much but i wish the stupid yeast would just go away. I am also treating myself and i am thinking of formula feeding her during her medication to make sure we're not passing it back and forth. I have no symptons though and i am not even sure if i have it. I am so frustrated with this thing and i could just cry right now.

Can anyone please give me your words of wisdom on how to beat thrush. My ideas are to use the nipple cream, then use a disposable breast pad (so i don't have it in contact with my bra). I just washed all her towels, face cloth etc on "hot" and then drying them in the dryer. I bought her all new bottles and planning to use these. I sterilize her bottles by boiling them in hot water for 20 minutes. What else can i do?

Thanks
    Nitu

Default Re: Feeling so bad!

I'm so sorry you are battling this for so long. You must be very frustrated. Here is a link to the kellymom site with all sorts of information about thrush and treatment. There are some other options besides nystatin and diflucan for treatment of both baby and mom. The doctor can prescribe a gel ointment for baby's mouth of clotrimazole, miconazole, or fluconazole (these are all listed in the Breastfeeding Answer Book as possible treatment options). These are all generally more effective I believe than Nystatin. The gentian violet can be used along with other antifungals. According to the BAB "Studies on rats indicate that when ingested daily in large amounts gentian violet is corcinogenic, but for short-term topical use, the risks are negligible".

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...tml#treatments

What are you using to treat the diaper rash? My son had yeast diaper rash and over the counter Lotrimon cream worked well to clear it up. It is also helpful to take a probiotic (acidophilus). You can take this and there are also some made for babies. Some studies have also shown it to be helpful to take grapefruit see extract and to reduce consumption of sugar and dairy products.

HTH!

Nitu, I'm sorry you are dealing with such a mean case of thrush! Llowe gave you some great advice about the various treatments; let us know if you have any questions after reading all the links on that kellymom.com page.

You mentioned that you are considering formula-feeding your baby during the rest of the thrush treatments, to avoid passing the thrush back and forth to each other. If you are both being treated simultaneously, and if you continue treatment for two full weeks after the thrush symptoms disappear, you will not re-infect each other during that time span.

The "passing back and forth" problem seems to occur most commonly when only the mother OR only the baby is being treated and the other one is not.

You will also want to consider the impact on your breastfeeding relationship if you were to switch to formula for a period of days. It's going to be really hard to keep your supply up (I'm sure you have your hands full with all the treatment protocols), your baby may come to prefer bottle-feeding, etc etc. Not to mention that the formula isn't going to support her immune system, and she needs all the antibodies and good nutrition in your breastmilk to get on top of the yeast problem.

Hang in there and let us know how you are doing.

--Rebecca

Thank you for your response, i will take a look at the links. Currently i am an exclusive pumper which is why i was thinking of using formula, although i prefer to give her the breastmilk that i spend so much time and effort pumping. I don't have any thrush symptoms, the only reason i am being treated is because it hasn't gone from my dd and i am at my wits end. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, what a pain. Every time i look at her mouth, i feel so guilty.

I am treating the diaper yeast with the same nystatin cream i am using on my nipples. Are probiotics safe for infants? I am very nervous about giving her anything sadly i end up giving all kinds of crap with this thrush.

Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't understand the whole context of your situation.

What kind of pump do you use? I know that some double-electric pumps have air flowing through the motor that also reaches the milk. So it is theoretically possible for various contaminants or diseases to be transmitted via the breastpump itself. This is why we recommend that breast pumps not be shared or used secondhand, for example. I have no idea if this might be a factor in your daughter's thrush infection.

I have seen a probiotic powder designed for infants -- I don't know how young, and I am not qualified to judge if they are safe. In theory, at least, since probiotics contain the "healthy" bacteria that are already present in the human gut, they shouldn't pose a health risk -- but I don't know what else might be in the infant-specific form of probiotics (milk cultures, etc.). You should discuss this with your baby's doctor or other healthcare providers.

Have you sought help from an IBCLC lactation consultant since the thrush started? My sense is that this situation (persistent thrush in only the baby of an exclusively-pumping dyad) is rare enough that you may need the skills of a really good IBCLC to figure this out.

--Rebecca