Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How not to waste frozen BM???

Question How not to waste frozen BM???

Hi there! Quick question... just wondering, because normally when I have been pumping, I have been freezing it, I pump into a bottle and then pour it into a baggy, usually it is anywhere from 3-5 ounces. My 4 week old doesn't eat that much at a feeding, and we are trying to get dad to give her a bottle at night and here and there, but how do I do this? The first night he did it, he defrosted the whole bag of 3 ounces by soaking it in hot/warm water and then she only ended up eating about an ounce, and there were two ounces wasted. So I was wondering what the "rules" were pertaining to that, like once it's been defrosted and used does it have to be discarded, it can't be refrigerated? Or also how long can it sit out for? The other thing that gets me always is when they say you can pump and have that out for about 4-6 hours, but it gets colder and colder the longer it is out, so wouldn't that make baby not take it because it's not warm like fresh outta the boob? We didn't do bottles with my first and I'm definately wanting this one to take to a bottle as well as breast, sp please any help would be great! I'm very clueless with this whole bottle/pumping/storage deal. Thanks mamas...
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Default Re: How not to waste frozen BM???

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*annabellasmommy View Post
    Hi there! Quick question... just wondering, because normally when I have been pumping, I have been freezing it, I pump into a bottle and then pour it into a baggy, usually it is anywhere from 3-5 ounces. My 4 week old doesn't eat that much at a feeding, and we are trying to get dad to give her a bottle at night and here and there, but how do I do this? The first night he did it, he defrosted the whole bag of 3 ounces by soaking it in hot/warm water and then she only ended up eating about an ounce, and there were two ounces wasted. So I was wondering what the "rules" were pertaining to that, like once it's been defrosted and used does it have to be discarded, it can't be refrigerated? Or also how long can it sit out for? The other thing that gets me always is when they say you can pump and have that out for about 4-6 hours, but it gets colder and colder the longer it is out, so wouldn't that make baby not take it because it's not warm like fresh outta the boob? We didn't do bottles with my first and I'm definately wanting this one to take to a bottle as well as breast, sp please any help would be great! I'm very clueless with this whole bottle/pumping/storage deal. Thanks mamas...
    Ok first off 4 weeks is borderline for nipple confusion so if you can hold off for another week or to it would be ideal.

Can you store the milk in smaller quantities? Like 2 oz? I always used the remaining milk for the next feeding and then toss it if it wasn't used. Fresh milk can last at room temp for around 6 hours, but why do it if you don't have to?

Many babies drink room temp milk or even milk fresh from the fridge, it's personal prefrence. You can always warm the bottle in warm water again (very next feeding) and lightly swirl it to mix it back together.

When you say you freeze it in a baggie are you literally saying you use a sandwich bad to freeze the milk or do you mean a plastic BM storage bag?

Remember to pump for the missed feedings as well.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

No of course I use BM baggies. But that's not a bad idea I guess I could just pour a couple of bags worth from the bottle, like make two 2 ounce bags instead of one 4 ounce bag So when you said you would use the remaining, and by fresh milk do you mean once it has been thawed from the freezer? So the same rules apply as if it were just pumped, 6 hours no longer? And if I were to put the remaining in the frige than does that give it the 4-6 days or whatever? Or once it's thawed there is no refrigerating because it could go bad?? Sorry, don't know much at all! I feel like my supply has been dropping also... But both my 20 month old and newborn are nursing..and they both are getting milk, I guess I just wasn't used to my engorgement deflating as quickly..because with my first I was engorged for quite a long time before it went down to just what she needed... hmmmm!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

If you do store in larger quantities than your LO takes in a bottle, you can end up with much less waste if you are able to plan further ahead and defrost in the refrigerator. We would take the bags for the next day out of the freezer and put into the fridge the evening before it was needed. Then you can just pour the amount needed into a bottle and the rest can be saved in the fridge until the next bottle (I believe the guideline for defrosted, never warmed milk is use w/in 24 hrs). Warm water is good for quick defrost but then the milk should be used within a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mima View Post
    If you do store in larger quantities than your LO takes in a bottle, you can end up with much less waste if you are able to plan further ahead and defrost in the refrigerator. We would take the bags for the next day out of the freezer and put into the fridge the evening before it was needed. Then you can just pour the amount needed into a bottle and the rest can be saved in the fridge until the next bottle (I believe the guideline for defrosted, never warmed milk is use w/in 24 hrs). Warm water is good for quick defrost but then the milk should be used within a few hours.
    Yes, I was just coming here to say this. If you freeze milk in larger quantities, like 4 or 6 ounces, just defrost it in the frig overnight. Then if you only want to feed a 2oz bottle, just warm up the 2 ounces, and keep the rest in the frig and use it for later.

And I believe the general rule is to use milk that's been defrosted within 24 hours of defrosting it, but *I* have pushed that somewhat and gone 36 or a few more hours and it's always been fine. Just give it the sniff test before you feed it to your LO.

Oh, also wanted to say... the other way I defrost milk is to let the bag sit out (in a bowl, in case it leaks once defrosted) for a couple hours, and check on it frequently, once it's "slushy" I put it into the frig, and let it defrost the rest of the way in the frig. Not sure if that's the "proper" way to defrost milk or not, but it seems to help it defrost a little faster, without having to warm the entire bag in a pan of water.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Oh, also wanted to say... the other way I defrost milk is to let the bag sit out (in a bowl, in case it leaks once defrosted) for a couple hours, and check on it frequently, once it's "slushy" I put it into the frig, and let it defrost the rest of the way in the frig. Not sure if that's the "proper" way to defrost milk or not, but it seems to help it defrost a little faster, without having to warm the entire bag in a pan of water.
    I do this too--works well and never had any problems.

I use to freeze my BM in ice cube trays that had lids. I measured how much liquid would go into each cube or a few (use water) and then I knew how many cubes I would need for a feeding. I would freeze them in the tray and once they were frozen I would transfer them into BM bags and label both date and how many cubes. I want to say that most Ice cube trays are almost 1 oz. per cube, but I may be off since I haven't done it in so long. But it's crucial to buy the ones with lids on them and just be careful transferring the tray into the freezer.
    I bought 2 different types of trays from Bed bath and Beyond. My favorite one was the one with the lids that snap on rather than slide on. And once you're baby is teething you can offer her a nice cold BM cube in a mesh feeder bag as a treat (a bit messy but My DD LOVED them). And after you're done pumping you can use your cube trays for freezing homemade baby food (once they start solids of course).
    And by the way, my DH started giving her a bottle at night from the beginning and she never had nipple confusion. She always preferred mommy of course.
    Hope this helps! Good luck!
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby

I was going to suggest the ice cube thing as well. And I wouldn't worry about nipple confusion unless you are having problems. We waited for fear of nipple confusion and now I am stuck with a LO that won't take a bottle.
    DD born 02/23/10 7lbs 7ozs - 18.5 inches
    1 week 7lbs 2ozs - 20.75 inches (I think the hospital measured wrong)
    2 weeks 7lbs 14ozs - 22.5 inches
    8 weeks 10lbs 14ozs - 23.5 inches
    11 weeks 11lbs 15ozs
    4 months 13lbs 15ozs - 26 inches

DSS - 50% custody - 04/03/07
    DSS - occasional wknds most holidays and all summer - 11/16/00
    DSD - occasional wknds most holidays and all summer - 06/02/99

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*isabellasmama View Post
    I was going to suggest the ice cube thing as well. And I wouldn't worry about nipple confusion unless you are having problems. We waited for fear of nipple confusion and now I am stuck with a LO that won't take a bottle.
    Re: nipple confusion even if you don't have "problems" per se it's good to wait 5-6 weeks until BF has really been established prior to introducing artificial or dummy nipples.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I have BF 2 babies and had, for one reason or another to introduce bottles early. We've never had nipple confusion.
    Married to my soul mate "Dr. Al" 8-22-09
    DD Noah Rae 8-10-98 and for 16 months! who is now a pre-teen girl and I want to
    DS Kael Mathew-Ryan 10-27-09 8 months and counting!
    Loving and happily at work and after each feeding