Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: falling behind due to supplementing

Default Re: falling behind due to supplementing

Thank you everyone! I did suspect that continuing to supplement was just setting me back more. Now she seems to be in a growth spurt. After her usual 8:30am feeding (where I gave her a bottle because she was frantic) she was hungry again at 9:30a. So this time I put her to the breast and she nursed slowly for 1.5 hrs. I didn't have to encourage her to continue. I did switch sides each time she popped off. So I'm going to try and stick with her and read her signs cutting out the supplement. However, now that's she's asleep, should I wait till she wakes to start again? I know that sounds obvious, but I'm trying to figure out if I should wake her at some sign (sucking her fingers would be obvious) or as soon as she starts rustling? Usually she starts stirring, moving head side to side and groaning and that's when I know she's ready to eat. Just want to make sure with this growth spurt I am not waiting too long to get to her.

Best,

C

I wouldn't wake her up to nurse. Babies tend to sleep a lot during growth spurts, ime. Nurse, sleep and poop, that's all they do during a spurt. LOL! A four hour stretch of sleep at this age can be very normal. My 2nd and third babies both had a 4 hour stretch from the time they were born on. It's a blessing to have a baby who sleeps at night. They don't need to be woken after the first few days (for newborns born on time, this is so they don't get dehydrated before your milk comes in. Your milk is in, so it's no problem), so I wouldn't wake her. She sounds healthy and perfect to me. If she gets frantic again, don't give in w/ a bottle. Instead, offer the breast and if she gets too frustrated and throws a fit, rock her and pat her back or butt until she calms down and offer the breast again. I've found that taking my babies into the shower (make sure the water is body temp not hot!) really calms them down when they're upset. I think it's a combo of the skin to skin and the calming effects of water. Getting in the tub w/ a newborn is also great fun.

Just follow your instincts, momma, they're telling you what to do. You just need to forget about what other people have been saying and listen to your instincts!

And make sure you're getting enough to eat and plenty to drink. I had an insulated 1L mug that I kept filled w/ ice water and carried w/ me everywhere the first weeks. It helped a lot.

funny you mention the 4hr stretch - just yesterday she slept for 4 hrs 2x and I flipped out. Before that she was sleeping just 2 hours maybe 3 before waking. I didn't think the 4hr strech was normal but now I see it must be. I'll let her sleep and see when she wakes. Thanks for the taking the time to help me. Motherhood may be intuitive, but breastfeeding is much more elusive (at least for me)!

Oh, honey, breastfeeding was elusive for all of us, too!! It is a learned art, not instinctive.

It sounds like the two of you did GREAT this morning, with that hour and a half of leisurely on-and-off nursing. That's the ticket.

As long as she is at the breast at least 10-12 times in every 24-hour-period and you are seeing no signs of dehydration, you can let her sleep. It's wonderful that you are responding to those early hunger cues, before she fully wakes up and gets frantic. I think you two are going to be fine. Keep us posted -- we like to hear success stories as well as questions.

--Rebecca

I have not read the all of the original post, but I wanted to rec amend swaddling this dc very tightly , all of the time. Babies especially preemies can get overstimulated so easily. Also you may want to read the Happiest Baby On The Block, By Dr. Karp. It was a life saver for us! Good luck and Congrats on the new Baby!

Hi 1st Timer!
    Sounds like you are on the right track and you've been getting great advice here. I just read thruogh the posts and I want to commend you on your persistance. I'm a first time mom too and at first it is hard to trust your instincts when you have advice coming from all over the place. Looking back 9 months later, though, you too will have to smile at all that you've learned. It sounds to me that nursing is so very important to you and your child is blessed to have a mom with such wonderful priorities. Keeping that ultimate goal in mind of exclusive bf will guide you in making your choices. Keep up the nursing and love that baby all you can! Congrats!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

We had a supply issue for a few weeks when my baby was around 2-5 weeks old, and we had to supplement with formula. The lactation consultant we were seeing at the time told us to give her the formula in the bottle. During this time, my baby started kicking and screaming at the breast, too, and I almost quit breastfeeding because it became such a struggle and I felt like all I was doing was fighting with her.

Then we found out about at-the-breast supplementing (also called SNS), and it made such a difference, because she was still stimulating my nipples and my milk supply while she was getting her supplement. When using a bottle, my supple was getting lower and lower, but the SNS was way more effective than pumping at increasing my milk supply, and we didn't have to supplement at all after a short time. It you feel you have to supplement, try using an at-the-breast supplementer instead of a bottle.

Yes, I got the SNS for supplementing and sometimes I use it and sometimes I just go the easier route and fill up a bottle. But I will try to stick to the SNS. Each time I think we're done with supplementing (for ex. 5 feeding sessions in a row where baby got enough to eat) then one session creeps up where she's not getting enough from me then I have to supplement. It seems a tortuous never ending cycle I'm having a hard time breaking. One day my 3-5pm supply was fine, and then the next there's hardly anything. How long did it take you to quit all supplements? There's so much self-doubt and disappointment it does make one want to quit. I'll be doing the nurse-in session starting late tomorrow and hopefully that will end this cycle!

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Mama
    We had a supply issue for a few weeks when my baby was around 2-5 weeks old, and we had to supplement with formula. The lactation consultant we were seeing at the time told us to give her the formula in the bottle. During this time, my baby started kicking and screaming at the breast, too, and I almost quit breastfeeding because it became such a struggle and I felt like all I was doing was fighting with her.

Then we found out about at-the-breast supplementing (also called SNS), and it made such a difference, because she was still stimulating my nipples and my milk supply while she was getting her supplement. When using a bottle, my supple was getting lower and lower, but the SNS was way more effective than pumping at increasing my milk supply, and we didn't have to supplement at all after a short time. It you feel you have to supplement, try using an at-the-breast supplementer instead of a bottle.
    one quick question, did you leave the SNS 'on' for the whole feeding? The thing is, I never know whether a supplement will be necessary until we're 10-15 min into the feeding and I notice a lack of swallowing. Then I have to stop and get the SNS on and then resume the feeding.

thanks,

c

Hi 1stimer!
    Congratulations on being a new mom and so committed to your baby! You are doing so well. You are getting lots of great responses from the other posters. I just thought I would mention a couple of things.

Some babies will suck on a bottle even when not hungry. Because bottles will continue to leak even when the baby is not sucking, they have a natural instinct to swallow what is in their mouth. So, the fact that a baby takes a bottle after nursing is not always a sign of not getting enough!

I think it is great that you have an SNS and are using it! This is another sign of your commitment to nursing your baby! Did you ever try breast compressions? This where you compress the breast while the baby is nursing to encourage more active sucking, instead of just "nibbling". This technique was started by Dr. Jack Newman and you can find out how to do it here:

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html
    (It is not an LLL site, but Dr. Newman serves as a Medical Advisor to LLL, so this info is reliable.)

You are doing great! Keep up the hard work!