Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exclusive Breastfeeding for a year

Default Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding for a year

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wreckgoddess View Post
    thanks for all of your quick responses ladies. It is so nice to know i'm not all alone! I have actually read that article about it possibly not actually reducing the risk for food allergy. But I also read an article on Kellymom about delaying solids and how babies are born with an open gut and how every baby is different when it closes.. and the open gut is why the AAP and WHO switched solids introduction from 4 months to 6 months or after recently.

So there was another momma who also exclusively breastfed for a year? Awesome.. do you guys know what her reasons were?

Once again, thanks for all the advice(that i'm actually asking for lol) and input. I am considerate of all I hear about or read
    Just out of curiosity, have you cosidered baby-led solds? It is a great way for your baby to eat IF he's ready When a baby's gut closes, it is usually around the time they start showing signs of solids-readiness. I believe those signs are also on kellymom

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Anytime we choose a parenting style that is out of the norm we are going to get questions and criticisms about it. It comes right along with making that choice to do things differently. Yes, it sucks that we can't just do what we want and get on with our lives, but that's the reality. I found that for me, rather than get frustrated that I'm being questioned it helps me to expect to be questioned and to either take the opportunity to educate or ignore them and let them see for themselves if they persist in criticizing.

I chose to do baby led solids, which (outside of this forum) is apparently quite a controversial decision. Why, I don't know, the benefits are clear to me. But I found that by sticking to my guns and just reiterating the positives to those who questioned, or even better, letting them watch my 9 month old chow happily down on a whole apple they came around.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'm curious how you handle the logistics of mealtimes. It's something we're dealing with in our house because of my son's health issues. He has very few solid foods he is able to eat, and for a while wasn't able to eat solid foods at all, so we've encountered some difficulty as far as including him in the social aspect of mealtimes and trying to keep him from eating our foods (especially his big sister). Is this something you've encountered? Or maybe it's not an issue for you yet, with an 8 month old...
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with the suggestions from the PPs. Ignore or educate- those are the best options.

I am also curious how you have dealt with (or plan to deal with) the issue of your child wanting to try solids? My kid ate barely any solids until around 14-15 months, so I know that kids don't need solids in order to be healthy, but by 8 months may daughter was able to put things in her mouth and did so on a regular basis. She wasn't particularly interested in food, but she ate a LOT of dirt, lint, and dog hair!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Paige, It is actually something i've encountered. Ben sits in a high chair at the table right next to me or in between other family members. I place several toys on his tray, rattles, teethers, etc. We play peek a boo or interact with him in other ways at the table. He feels included. A few times I have frozen breastmilk into ice cube trays and put the milk cubes in those mesh bags with handles. He sort of likes that.. its cold and he doesn't know what to think about it at first but he getis interested as it melts.. he just gums it.
    I usually breastfeed him immediately before we sit down to eat so he isn't cranky. I learned to do that when he was first born and it continues to work. He doesn't grab at food, because he doesn't know to yet.
    Last night he wouldn't eat before we sat down to dinner (he was tired and fighting sleep) so I think thats one reason why everyone kept commenting that he wanted table food. He never acts fussy at the table unless he needs a nap or to go to sleep for the night. So they really have a skewed opinion.. they aren't around him enough to know he usually plays happily while we enjoy our meal.
    I also don't place him quite close enough to grab food off my plate, etc. because he likes to grab knives or knock over glass glasses too

A friend of mine is still nursing her 8 month old and is also doing solids.. and table food. Anytime her son screams she feeds him a few drops of Coke, so of course he screams for more. I don't agree with that of course, but I keep my mouth shut. I think after seeing how laid back my son is during meals she has started nursing her son before meals as well so it works out better for them. Less stress all around because he isn't cranky.. and when she gets done eating then she feeds him his solids.

I hate that skewed opinion thing, my MIL was convinced for a long time that my daughter was just a fussy, needy child, but that was because we had to drive 5 hours to get there and then she was worn out and in an unfamiliar place. Of course she's gonna be clingy. Ah well, whatareyagonnado.
    --Anonymous

Last edited by @llli*eris; May 29th, 2010 at 04:51 PM.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Hi!I'm EBF my 1 yo.his choiche tho!
    I'm offering him a variety of solids but he doesn't want to eat yet.
    anyway I can say there's no harm in waiting,we took him to a ped who is expert in infant nutrition and he said it is allright to delay till 1 year.his son did it as well.
    anyway I don't think there's an harm in offering solids either. he can self feed(healthy solids,of course) so he will eat when he's ready.
    I obviously get sooo many comments from relatives and hubby,sometimes they manage to drive me nuts!
    but most of the time I just smile and nod or tell them the ped said it's allright.
    DS is a tiny boy,but I'm all petite so he's just like me,I was actually smaller than him at 1 yo and my mom introduced foods very early with me.
    He's happy and healthy so...pass the bean dip is the solution for unwanted advices!
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

Have you had a look at the Dealing with Criticism forum? Lots of good advice there.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

I just wanted to add my experience. My MIL seemed to be critical of me without really saying she didn't agree with me waiting so long, and because of her I actually gave in and tried pushing solids too soon(somewhere around 9 months), he didn't actually eat anything until he was about 10-11 months old, and then very little until over a year. He is 16 months now and still doesn't eat very much food, but is increasing in quantity and showing more signs of being hungry throughout the day even if I nurse him every two hours. And despite not feeding him three meals a day he is growing fine and still has lots of baby fat. Breastmilk is wonderful!

I think if you can stick to your guns about it and not let people influence your parenting decisions you will do fine! Breastfeeding exclusively til about a year is fine! And about the anemia, my son was checked at 13 months and his levels came back normal even though he didn't have much of any solids until over a year. All the information regarding iron supplementation seems to be based on people who push solids at 6 months when the gut isn't ready and use foods that can inhibit the iron from being absorbed from the breastmilk (phytic acid in unsoaked and unfermented grains and legumes).
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12