Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exclusive Breastfeeding for a year

Default Exclusive Breastfeeding for a year

Hi guys.. I'm looking for your thoughts here.
    My son is 8 months old and I haven't started solids, rice cereal,etc. He has never had anything but breastmilk and we are still exclusively breastfeeding. He is in the 90th percentile on weight and the 55th percentile on head circ and length. He is meeting and exceeding all of his milestones, has abundant energy, and is the happiest baby I have ever met. Everyone always comments on how laid back he is and how he is thriving. He has never even had an ear infection or a cold. (He is a 22 lb grinning butterball!)
    I am a NICU RN and am well educated on the benefits of breastfeeding, and work closely with lactation consultants. My pediatrician, and LCs have confirmed to me that it is ok to delay solids and that he is ok on my milk alone for up to a year.
    I am sick and tired of people making comments about his not eating food yet.. "Hey Ben theres some baby food over here!" "give him some potato salad it won't hurt him" "Just a little diet coke isn't going to kill him"

Anyways, I feel that I am doing what is best for him and it's obviously going well. I have an abundant milk supply ( I make about 35-45 ounces of milk a day) so that isn't an issue.

Can you guys think of a way to handle the over 7 comments I get per hour at dinnertime?
    And why do people make it their business anyways?
    I realize that this is not something most people do so to them, I am CRAZY and will be breastfeeding my baby to age 18.
    Last edited by @llli*wreckgoddess; May 28th, 2010 at 11:52 AM.

Default Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding for a year

I'm curious why you are hesitant to start solids. Obviously I understand why not potato salad and diet coke, but I mean healthy and age appropriate solids. If you can elaborate a bit more on that we can help you come up with specific responses to their comments.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I know who you feel about people giving their advice even though it was not asked for I just introduced food at six months and people were driving me crazy saying that I should have started him on rice cereal at 1 month!

The fact is, if you don't want to be confrontational and they aren't family who you can have a heart to heart talk with, you will have to put up the comments but your REACTION to them is something you can change. Remember that they mean well, they just don't understand because they were taught something different.

I would just smile and thank them for their concern and then change the subject. They'll get the hint. If they don't then tell them it is a personal matter and you would rather not discuss it. That always worked for me! Above all, ONLY YOU know what is best for your child and it sounds like you are doing a terrific job

9 yrs. w/ DH
    mother to Dylan
    11/27/2009 ~ 7 lbs. 3 oz. ~ 20 & 1/2 inches

and and

we're almost to THREE YEARS!

your REACTION to them is something you can change

yup...

"now this is very good bean dip! What did you put in it?"

workes to change the subject.

my nephew was born about the same time my 13 year old was born.
    mil bugged me to no end about bottle feeding and him staying with her over night.
    Hubby finaly just had to put her strait and tell her she was not going to get to feed him a bottle and get over it.
    once he got about a year old she assumed that he was weaned and quit bugging me so much.
    She would have freaked out if she new my 4 year old was still nursing but that was between the child and me and nobody else.
    Last edited by @llli*andrea.wolford; May 28th, 2010 at 12:14 PM.

In response to the first reply, I don't feel that there is anything necessarily wrong with age appropriate solids, I just feel that breastmilk is of course a superior food.. of course babies are supposed to be fed mostly breastmilk (or formula) as their primary source of nutrition with some solids to kind of get them started and transition over to mostly table food and then later to all table food. However, it is recommended to prevent food allergies that some babies be exclusively breastfed for one year and solids to be delayed. Well, if this is the case, why not my baby? If he is fluorishing on breastmilk alone, why do I NEED to go ahead and do solids now? Why not wait until 1 year? No studies exist to prove that this is developementally harming him by waiting.
    As far as the iron thing goes.. not enough babies are exclusively breastfed for there to be studies to prove that this actually causes anemia. All of the studies I have found include formula fed babies, and the anemia is caused by fissures in their gut. Whereas exclusively breastfed babies actually have higher iron blood levels because the iron is smaller in amount in the milk, yes, but is a more absorbable form.

(sorry that was long)

Anyways, i just want to wait.. I feel after all the research I have done its what I want to do.. I don't think there is anyting wrong with pureeing some organic carrots etc and feeding it to a baby over 6 months.. i just am choosing not to, thats all.

ETA: sorry, I know you weren't coming here to debate the issue. I think you will have to have a thick skin. Some of us have family and friends who support our parenting decisions and some of us have to just know in our hearts we are doing the right thing.
    Last edited by @llli*jeannie.bean; May 28th, 2010 at 02:27 PM.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I am not sure if you have other children, but a lot of times I feel like I get "advice" because people who have a child older than mine or have raised children feel that they know something I don't know . I believe people are generally just trying to be helpful. Is there anyway you could try to explain your reasoning to them? Or as other suggested, just change the subject and move on. In my experience when someone suggests I give my lo something I usually answer with a firm no and after a while they catch on and stop bothering me about it.

FWIW I believe there is another mama on here who has exclusively breastfed her 1 year old, perhaps she may have some more insight?
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Then it sounds like your best bet is to just say, "this is how I'm choosing to feed my child, my pediatrician is supportive of my choice and I don't care to discuss it any further." And hope they let it go.

I'm definitely not trying to change your mind or anything, if you want to wait I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But I wanted to add for the benefit of other readers that at the beginning of the year the AAP changed their recommendation as far as delaying introduction of allergenic foods and is now saying that delaying introduction doesn't necessarily reduce the risk of allergies.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

thanks for all of your quick responses ladies. It is so nice to know i'm not all alone! I have actually read that article about it possibly not actually reducing the risk for food allergy. But I also read an article on Kellymom about delaying solids and how babies are born with an open gut and how every baby is different when it closes.. and the open gut is why the AAP and WHO switched solids introduction from 4 months to 6 months or after recently.

So there was another momma who also exclusively breastfed for a year? Awesome.. do you guys know what her reasons were?

Once again, thanks for all the advice(that i'm actually asking for lol) and input. I am considerate of all I hear about or read

my last baby didn't eat much before she was 1...

She had low iron and once we got that back up to normal she did eat more foods.

So we started with meat and foods that were high in vitiman c to help with the absobrtion on the iron from foods.

Dr sears has some great books about feeding kids/your family healthy...
    You might want to check them out.