Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Manipulating? or is my supply dropping?

Default Manipulating? or is my supply dropping?

I am about to begin the process of weaning my 16 mo dd. She nurses at bedtime, in the early morning (5:30 or so), and at naptime.

I have noticed that she wants to switch breasts all the time. Sometimes she'll nurse only 2 or 3 minutes before she asks to switch to the other side. My question is: is she playing/manipulating (she tends to ask to switch more when I'm trying to get her to go to bed so I think she could be stalling)? Or is there something happening perhaps with my supply?

If my supply is not the issue, does anyone have any ideas how to discourage this?

Default Re: Manipulating? or is my supply dropping?

I think this is pretty normal behavior for an older nursling. My son likes to switch sides a lot. What I do for nap and bedtime is to let him go how he wants for awhile and then start giving him notice that soon it's time to lay down to go to sleep. Then I tell him "This is the last time and then its time to go to sleep." Usually if he's had a couple prewarnings, he's ok with being done with nursing and laying down on his bed.

It is absolutely okay to set some limits with a nursing toddler. I've known many mothers who did tell their babies that they could not keep switching and give a warning when they do switch that it's the last time. That seems to help a lot.

Thank you for this reply! It's kind of sweet and funny, but I do get tired of it!