Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Food's effect on Milk

Default Food's effect on Milk

My baby boy is 3 weeks old today. For the most part the past three weeks have been great. He sleeps without problem and feeds well however on several occassions it seems that he is having stomach issues, i.e. gas. I have attempted to change my diet to relieve any problems but for some reason it seems he still suffers from a painful belly. My question is, how long does it take for the food I eat to affect my breast milk. I hoping that by knowing this I can begin to target the particular foods that are upsetting him. Thanks in advance!!!

Default Re: Food's effect on Milk

I don't know anything about the science of what food affect the milk and for how long, but I do have some personal experience for what that's worth...
    Food that are "gassy" to my dd like broccoli, cabbage, greens usually affect her within 6-10 hours and then the effects are completely gone after 14-16 hours.
    However, with dairy it is different. My dairy intake really gives her gas and discomfort and it took me 10-14 days of being dairy free before the symptoms clear up.
    Good luck.

Hi there
    Congratulations on your new baby! Is he gassy all the time, or just occasionally?

Newborns just tend to be a little gassy anyway--they have immature digestive systems and some of them don't like the new sensations in their gut. But if you think something you're eating is bothering him, the best thing to try is keeping a food diary and a diary of his symptoms and see if anything goes hand-in-hand.

Here's an article that may help you:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/avoid.html

HTH!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hello and welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new little one.

Unfortunately, babies tend to have a lot more gas (or at least are more openly showing how bothered they are by it) in the early weeks. I would guess it's just because their new little bodies are still developing their digestive systems. And, also, if you think about it they've never felt all these weird sensations before! And a normal amount of gas that is produced as their milk is digested may be more uncomfortable for some babies than others.

I've found these resources to be of great help with finding common "trouble" foods and information on how long it stays in our systems (and our baby's system):

How long does it take for what I eat to get into my breastmilk?

My baby is gassy. Is this caused by something in my diet?

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; October 4th, 2006 at 09:14 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thank you for the replies. LLL LactoJen, he is not gassy all the time. He usually only cries when he is hungry or just before he dirties his diaper. Other than that he is usually is fine. Tonight is a completely different story. I can actually hear the bubbles in his little belly. This if usually followed by his screaming and crying along with thrashing of his arms and legs. He had a couple of days like this the first week we brought him home but this seems to be far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by baby'smom View Post
    Thank you for the replies. LLL LactoJen, he is not gassy all the time. He usually only cries when he is hungry or just before he dirties his diaper. Other than that he is usually is fine. Tonight is a completely different story. I can actually hear the bubbles in his little belly. This if usually followed by his screaming and crying along with thrashing of his arms and legs. He had a couple of days like this the first week we brought him home but this seems to be far worse.
    Check out the second link in my post above. Could it possibly be triggered by something else? Other causes of excessive gas can be anything from crying to an overactive letdown/oversupply of milk (that causes baby to gulp lots of air).

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

There are some "treatments" for gas mentioned in one of the kellymom articles linked above. I suggest trying baby massage and bicycling the legs-those always helped my DD when she was small.
    On the plus side, it's wonderful that you are off to such a great start with feeding and sleeping! Congratulations on the new baby!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I've read that other cultures who breastfeed while the baby is in a more vertical position will have less gas, b/c the air swallowed during feeding can rise back up & escape, as compared to a baby trapping more & more air in the tummy while lying down feeding. I'm trying out this theory with some success... when in a side-lying position I just try to burp her more often. HTH!

HeLLLo
    While it is true that some foods that you eat will produce more gas in your baby, most time in a baby this wee it is their little tummy's' just adjusting to their new world of having to nurse and work on digesting milk. That being said many moms have found that keeping a food diary is really helpful. Write down everything that you eat and keep tract of how your baby reacts. Then if you notice that every time you eat, broccoli she is gassy then you know to maybe avoid that food. All the best! Brittan